Possible to transfer SMS to new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Assuming I set up as new, rather than from my old backup (which would of course transfer the SMS) is this possible?

It's the one thing that puts me off upgrading, I like all my old SMS:(

2. netslacker, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

netslacker macrumors 6502

I think you're only option is a restore from backup to get the old SMS to the new phone...

However, you could try deleting everything off your current phone so that the only thing that remains is SMS, do a backup then restore that. Maybe that'll work???

3. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Maybe, thing is I really hate restoring from a backup, especially to a new phone (the idea of using a 3GS backup on a 4S is weird)

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's not really a "Backup" in the sense of, say, a hard drive backup. It's settings and application data. The OS is not a part of the backup at all.

My 4S was restored from the last backup of my 4, which was restored from the last backup of my 3G. It's been quite painless.

5. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It's the only way to get it back on there. Other methods will have you extract it and export into a document. The backup isn't iPhone specific. It is just all your preferences and settings and your data that you want to retain. There's nothing about it that makes it only "3GS" or that it works best for 3GS or that it will be upgraded to work on 4S. It is just data. I have upgraded from my backup since my iPhone 2G (2007) and I haven't had a problem. By this logic, my 4S has different devices in it now (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4).

Just do it.