Possible to upgrade/Unlock 3GS to 4.1 AND preserve baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by E3BK, Dec 3, 2010.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Forgive my ignorance but there's just so much to digest re: upgrades/unlocks that I've gotten a bit lost in the sea of info.

My question is, is it possible to upgrade my 3GS (new bootrom, 5.13 on 4.01) to 4.1 w/ untethered jailbreak and keep my baseband? I know the new Ultrasn0w will unlock it but what about the rest? What are the best tools to do this with? SHSH blobs are saved in TU.

I don't think the new Pwnage tool (4.1.3) is what I should be using but unsure. I do have Pwnage 4.1.2 but not sure if I will remain untethered if I use it. Also...is Apple still signing 4.1? I believe they are but again, unsure.

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

PwnageTool v4.1.3 is not for you. On the other hand v4.1.2 is for you. Apple is not signing 4.1 anymore but if you have the shsh files saved for 4.1 you can create the custom firmware and restore.

Just change your host files to that of the Cydia server. Below is what your host file should look like.

Attached Files:

3. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

Thanks! And it will still be untethered?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes. Just make sure you have the 4.1 shsh before you do use Pwnage.

5. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

Just a couple more questions to make sure I do this right.

Where is that host file located? I'm not sure what it's called. And when do I use the TU tool to kick it out of recovery? Or is this somethinG I still need to do?

Was also reading the Dev-Team post on this one and I can use same method on the iP4 and remain untethered at iOS 4.1?

Thank you for your help!

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I believe you can use Tiny Umbrella in place of editing your host files. IIRC, you turn on the server. If you search the forums, you'll find instructions for using Tiny Umbrella.

7. woodymsw macrumors newbie

How do I Jail Break iPhone 3GS 4.1 baseband 5.14.02

I read where I need to use the latest version of pwnange tool to make a custom firmware from the ipad firmware to change the baseband to 6.15.00 and in itunes restore with the custom ipad firmware that I cooked in the pwnange tool and then I can unlock with ultrasn0w. ?? Is this right??
    Please help.:(