Possible to use 1 of these flash drives to locate iMovie HD 06?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GITANAJAVA, Nov 29, 2009.

1. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

:::please see attachments:::

BEFORE I started experiencing problems with my HD, a year or so ago, and before it crashed, I made this backup (see "GREY_USB"). At that time, I was using iMovie 06 to produce video DVD's for animations of clients' products and business plans.

AFTER my system crashed (and a move to the other side of the planet!), I was finally able to have my Powerbook rebuilt and restored (see 3 attachments beginning "BLACKORANGE".)

Only after getting fully settled here, did I realise iMovie is apparently not installed....at least, not as far as I can tell. Some version of it may be on one of these USB flash drives, but it's been so long since I tinkered with any of this alchemy, I don't remember a flaming thing about how to go about checking.

Is it possible to view only, without downloading anything, exactly what applications/data are on BOTH flash drives, then, IF the iMovie dmg is still on one of them, to install it?

I'd prefer not to install iMovie 08 unless that's all I have; the expense of having to fit Final Cut into the budget right now is absolutely out of the question.

If you need more details or info, let me know. As my signature indicates: Powerbook G4, Mac OS X 10.4.11 w/Safari 4.04, iLife 08, occasionally running external LaCie HD (well, when I find it and unpack it).

Thanks to all! ;)

Attached Files:

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not familiar with .cdr files, what software were they created with?

3. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

@ DEWGUY1999: With apologies for how long it took me to get back to this thread, you'll find a straight-&-easy answer to your question here --

http://www.ehow.com/how_2093946_create-disk-image-mac-osx.html

As the Ehow site explains, CDR is the extension you get when creating a Disk Image with Disk Utility and choosing "DVD/CD Master" from the Image Format selections.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: my iMovie problem seems resolved, but while reviewing (again!) my two flash drives, I'm still stuck with my original problem:

Is it possible to view only, without downloading anything, exactly what applications/data are on my flash drives, then, IF a particular application I need is on one of them, to install that application? :confused:

Thanks, all! :D

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I've been using Macs since '93 and didn't know that. Hmm.

Okay, I just made a .cdr from a data disk that I had here and once it was done, I double clicked the .cdr file in Finder and it mounted just like a .dmg file and I was able to browse it in Finder. Have you tried that with your .cdr files?

Browsing the .cdr files with Finder wouldn't be "downloading" anything to your Mac. It would end up on your Mac if you moved it (copied it) from the flash drive's .cdr file to the Mac. Mounting a .cdr or .dmg file on your Desktop also doesn't "download" anything to your Mac. It's the same as if you mounted a hard drive, flash drive, optical disc, floppy disk, etc. It only provides access to the contents. To copy or move anything from the .cdr files they will need to be mounted first by double clicking the .cdr file.

5. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Many, many thanks again DG'99 :::bows:::

I once knew all of this stuff cold. After reading your reply, I had to smack my head -- amazing how much one forgets in just a few months while dealing with other matters!

Can't thank you enough for your invaluable help; I'm impressed by your willingness to try a dry run on the CDR.

Give me a bit more time, a couple of weeks, to finish settling in here and get all my toys running at 100%, then, if I can do anything via Q & A to return the favour, don't hesitate to ask.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear that I was able to help with this. Just pay it forward, if you can help someone with a computer problem (Mac/PC) that will return the favor. :)

7. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Yep! PIF is the only way to fly :)