Possible to use any kind of hard drive on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Super Xander, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

I know that Apple doesn’t natively support hard drives on the new iPads.
    But do anyone know a third part app there makes file management possible on iPads?

2. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

Don’t think so. I’m so mad at them cause I was planning on using my usb-c flash drive.. but of course Apple disabled that option purposely to force people to upgrade to more storage = more money for them.

3. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

You can use wireless hard drives or one that attaches to your router.

4. ericwn macrumors 68020

Often mentioned here is the RAVpower file hub, which I believe is a little WiFi router that can make external hard drives etc accessible via its app. Other wireless drives might have their own apps to access the storage.

5. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

The app filebrowser allows you to connect any hdd to a router and lets you use the native files app to connect to the drive.

6. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I have the 1st gen of that device... and it is, IMO, the best option among all of the less-than-good alternatives. It's just the nature of iOS devices.
    shrug.gif

7. Farsider macrumors 6502a

Farsider

Any NAS that supports CIFS/SMB will work too. Get the FileExplorer app and with its excellent Files integration, you can access all data directly from the NAS using Files.app

8. sharkync macrumors regular

sharkync

9. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I use an NAS for my personal file management.

10. sparksd macrumors 68020

11. Ettepetje macrumors newbie

All the options I have seen, even the expensive ones, are SLOW. When you try to manage 10-100 gigabyte of videos or RAW files from your camera or SD card you need 40+ megabyte/second, not 3-7 megabyte/second.

Hopefully the USB-C connector can open up new possibilities on this front, both to and from the iPad.

12. sparksd macrumors 68020

Totally agree. But I bet it won't happen.

13. Ettepetje macrumors newbie

But it already can be done. Wifi is quick enough, if I use my old MacBook Pro. So a decent speed wireless hub is needed instead of the crappy ones currently for sale.

The other route is an official or unofficial tool to read/copy files beyond the DCIM folder, like some SD card readers already are doing (albeit at USB2 speed, because of the slow lightning port).

14. sparksd macrumors 68020

The difficulty lies in combining a good wireless router/hub with a non-interfering USB3 capability (and SD card and Ethernet?) in a compact package that can be reliably and economically produced. If someone could do that, they likely would have and that's why we don't see this in the marketplace.

15. Ryan P macrumors regular

IOS 13

16. sparksd macrumors 68020

I'd like to think so but iOS 13 is starting to sound like a compendium of everybody's wish lists. I'll believe it when I see it.