Possible Upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by MacBookpro2011, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MacBookpro2011 macrumors newbie

I am using an older MacBook Pro (13 inch early 2011) with OS X EI Capitan Ver 10.11.6 Is this older system I am using able to handle another upgrade to the current macOS High Sierra? EI Capitan works pretty good, have been getting alot of spinning balls since upgrading a while back to it. For general internet use and watching videos etc is works fine. Thanks for any info.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

2. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

I wish I could go back to an older OS...this High sierra has for me...the following problems: Apple Mail no longer had preferences....in box is now not viewable....finder can not find much of what I am looking for ....I see no advantage to this new OS...I would call it a disaster.

3. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

My late 2013 iMac was not quite as fluid with High Sierra and I had a few issues with mail and preview which really made me wish I had not upgraded. The other day the load bar would not finish the load sequence and was unable to start up. I tried re installing High Sierra with the same results so off to the Apple Store I went. At the Apple Store the Genius Bar tech re installed Sierra and I'm back to a nice fluid experience.

4. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My early 2011 runs HS fine although it now has SSD and 16GB

6. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

Here is the list of Macs compatible with macOS High Sierra.

Source: Apple Support

I am happily running High Sierra on a Mac mini 2010 as well as a MacBook Air 2013. Both of my systems have 8 GB RAM and SSDs.

7. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

I have Apple Care so nothing.

8. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

El Capitan will receive security updates for another year. I would wait until High Sierra matures then update but first add more RAM. With only 4GB it's no wonder you are getting spinning beach balls.

You can find install videos here:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

9. Diagoras macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro from 2012. For years I stuck with OS X 10.8.5 because later versions were incompatible with my printer. Finally the printer died, and I upgraded to 10.13, for which Epson amazingly already had a driver available at launch. Anyway, laptop and printer are doing fine. I don't have any complaints, although I'm probably the most unsophisticated user on this site.

10. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I had a macbook 2010.
    2.4GHz core2duo
    8gb 1066MHz DDR3
    240GB SSD
    ran el cap, then Sierra then High Sierra until the GPU gave out last week.

firstly fitting an SSD will vastly help the beachball issue. It did for me.

Make a backup of ur machine before you upgrade to Sierra/high Sierra that way can go back.

Your Mac should run it well, maybe bit more ram.
    but I have a 2012 MacBook Air 1.7GHz i5 and 4GB ran running HS right now and it's fine bar the iMessage delay issue.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "EI Capitan works pretty good, have been getting alot of spinning balls since upgrading a while back to it. For general internet use and watching videos etc is works fine. Thanks for any info."

Chances are the "spinning beach balls" aren't coming from El Capitan.
    If you still have a platter-based hard drive inside, THAT'S WHERE they're coming from.
    Platter-based HDD's can't keep up with the demands that versions of the OS since Mavericks place on them. They "run", but the running seems more like "walking" to the user.

Replace it with an SSD (simple procedure that anyone can do), and I promise you that things will go MUCH faster!

Having said that, I'd try the drive upgrade first.
    IF you're satisfied with the performance boost, and IF El Capitan is doing everything for you that you need, I think you'd best "hold off a while" before thinking about High Sierra. It's still very much "a work in progress".