possible Verizon iPhone revealed in iPad OS mainframe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icyfire, Apr 3, 2010.

1. icyfire macrumors 6502

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/...ts-of-future-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad/#comments

Looks like not one, but two unreleased iPhones are listed in the iPad OS mainframe. The Verizon iPhone rumors may finally have some substance behind them.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Nice observation. Or it could be for TMobile.

I really hope this is the case and not Apple releasing 2 different iPhones (like a iPhone HD and an iPhone 3GS2). I really enjoy their 'single' product line as its not like the BlackBerries or Android phones where you don't know which one is the top of the top.

I know Apple has the 3G along the 3GS but, it's not as convoluted as others.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, the iPad one is the 3G iPad right?

And I don't know what to think of the two new iPhones. Really hope they don't split it out.

4. zacharace macrumors member

Totally agreed. Developers have to deal with 5 or so different hardware configurations (i.e., the Storm's touchscreen vs. a Bold's keyboard), models, and, like Android, OS versions. Apple's approach is simple and streamlined, 3G/3GS non-withstanding; thus explains why App Store has had so much success--and why BlackBerry OS is so convoluted and backward.

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I get the bad feeling there may not be a Verizon iPhone this year. The iPad has 3G for only $30/month unlimited without a contract. It's hard for me to believe any carrier would be doing this unless they were attempting to retain exclusivity on the iPhone.

6. iTouch macrumors 6502

Why not? I remember seeing photos of disassembled iPhones and they had both CMDA and GSM parts. If anything it's all about money. If it does come out for Verizon, I would say next June maybe. Apple is too vested in AT&T (iPhone and iPad) and vice versa for there not to be exclusivity in their contract.

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i don't think there will be a verizon iphone.

8. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

Where did u see these pics?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In his dreams probably :)

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Why would they go that route? Countless other phones have a CDMA version and a GSM version that are modeled and named the same. The only difference is the chip in the phone which you don't see anyway. Every other carrier is able to figure out how to get a phone with a GSM chip and a similar phone with a CDMA chip in it, Apple is too stupid to get it or something?

People act like Apple throwing a CDMA chip in an iPhone would be the hardest technological achievement known to man kind or something. Can't argue the fact CDMA is a dying technology. While that maybe true, GSM is also equally a dying technology as LTE is not backwards compatible with GSM or CDMA.

It's Apple's call though, can't argue that. If they are happy with 11 million or so US customers then they'll stick with AT&T. If they want to practically double their market overnight they'll release it on the CDMA carriers.

11. iTouch macrumors 6502

I guarantee the new iPhone has both GSM and CMDA. If you look at the Part # even for the old iPhone and go to the company website it's there. Not too hard to believe. Why do you think the CEO of the Chinese telecommunications company wants the iPhone on their TD CMDA network? With an install base of 500 million customers. All this is done on the phone side because it has CDMA in the phones already. Now if Apple is just interested. Things should be interesting with 4G and LTE. BTW I have a friend that works in the industry. I will not go into more detail but mark my words when someone disassembles the new iPhone they will confirm what I have been saying.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, if you guarantee it then it definetelly does then:rolleyes:

13. iTouch macrumors 6502

Just wait and see. Everything I said is true but lets just say that the WCDMA portion is not for voice as everyone expected. And that's all I will say. Like I said my friend's company is a supplier for the iPhone.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Wow!!! :eek:

Happy b'lated second anniversary to this thread !!!!