Possible virus, help!

mike97208

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
A couple of days ago I was on a website that offered the free downloading of books in PDF format. I downloaded a book to my 2-year old MacBook (first with Santa Rosa chip) and copied it to my First Gen. iPod Touch using GoodReaderUSB.

After I copied it I looked down and happened to see a couple of comments by others who downloaded the book warning that the file contained a virus. I have not yet backed up to my external HD.

What should I do? How can I check for a virus? Can I safely back up my laptop to my external without ruining the external?

Thanks

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
File is likely infected, but chance that Preview wouldn't do anything with the Windows virus.

You're file is a carrier, but likely you didn't get an active infection opening it.

Just e-mail it to a Windows user to spread the pain.

---

If you never entered your password to install the virus like a DNS trojan, you should be fine by simply deleting the file.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There is no virus for OSX. There is no virus for iPod touch.

No matter what kind of file it is, there will always be someone who will say it contains a virus.

If it's a questionable site, then anything can happen. You should go to reputable sites, aka buy the content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.