Possible VP options for most candidates

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by v-ault, Jan 9, 2008.

1. v-ault macrumors regular

It's a little early but I figured I'd you guys some insight. Plus I love writing about this stuff.

I know a lot of Clinton's short list... guys like Tom Vilsac, former Governor Mark Warner of Virginia, and yes, she would even consider Barack Obama.

For Obama, its unlikely he would pick Hillary... he'd more likely go after somebody else - I'd guess a southern Governor perhaps... somebody who can balance the concerns about his being in the Senate, and from being from a strong northern urban area. There's a bunch of those to choose from: http://democraticgovernors.org/governors

Also possible for him would be some kind of "old hand" from the party - somebody who has a lot of experience to balance his perceived inexperience... Bill Richardson comes to mind, because he is the Governor of a border state, he is incredibly experienced in both Governance and foreign affairs...

But I won't pretend to know Obama's list like I know Clintons.

As for the Republicans - McCain has no staff, no money and had he lost NH he would have been out, so he really hasn't spent a lot of time putting together a cabinet in his head. I would have to assume, however that he would select a younger person who is a strong candidate in his own rate to assuage the fears of people that McCain is too old and might be incapacitated. He'd probably want a Washington outsider - although its also possible he could pick up one of his Senate buddies like Lindsay Grahm (although that is made difficult by the fact that most of his Senate buddies are Democrats like Lieberman, Fiengold, Kerry, etc).

The natural choice for McCain would be Romney - but they REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY hate each other. REALLY hate each other. Although that hasn't stopped anyone in the past - I'd say that Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush had even more animosity between them in the 1980 election cycle, and they ended up hooking up, so anything is possible. I tell you what though - that would be one strong ticket.

If Romney were to somehow mount a Bill Clinton like primary comeback and end up winning the nomination, there is no question about it, he needs to pick up somebody of strong, principled convictions, hopefully from the south to balance his being from a northern liberal state... for governors you have guys like Charlie Crist, Sonny Perdue, Matt Blunt, Rick Perry, etc...

You also have the likelihood of picking up somebody from the Senate who can give him some legitimacy in the "experience" realm... McCain wouldn't serve as VP, but there are plenty of Senators/Congressmen who would be good choices. I think who he would end up picking would really depend on who he's running against. For example, you could see him pick up a woman or a black man depending on if its Obama or Hillary. Certainly possible.

Rudy? I have no read at all on him... my only guess in his case is he'd go for somebody to appease the conservative base of the party.

Huckabee I refuse to answer because if he wins the nomination, I'm committing suicide - so it won't matter anyway.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I know it's probably unintended, but your phrasing above sounds odd--it makes it sound like you have inside knowledge. I mean, to decline pretending about Obama's list makes it sound like your assertions about Clinton's list are more than speculation.

3. v-ault thread starter macrumors regular

I know people high up in the Hillary campaign...

4. tefleming macrumors 6502

Huckabee's running for VP. Instantly ups the "street cred" with evangelicals for any of the other top tier candidates.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Oh, OK. Well, I'm sure they're not crazy about you leaking their deliberations on an online forum. :p

6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I think the Republican field is weak enough that while he might have started out running for VP, even his tiny warchest (5 million last quarter) might be enough to get him the top spot.
    =-=-=-=-=
    For the Democrats:

Obama + Clinton in either order would never work. Clinton has spent the last few weeks calling Obama an inexperienced Muslim kid who is addicted to/selling cocaine, and therefore is a fairytale.

Senator Jim Webb would be a strong VP candidate. Bill Richardson, Al Gore

For the Republicans:

Gov Sarah Palin (Alaska), Gov Mark Sanford (South Carolina), KB Hutchinson, Gov Romney (big love's got big money!)

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Perry already made his play for Giuliani.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't recall Richardson throwing mud so maybe his whole strategy was to seek the VP role.

9. tefleming macrumors 6502

I can't see Hillary taking the VP spot on any ticket. So, Hillary-Obama, maybe, but I'm with you, that seems decreasingly likely.
    Yes
    No
    Don't know much about Palin, but Sanford is a possibility.

Can't see KBH doing it. TX is already a lock and she doesn't have much of a national profile. That said, I don't know who they'd turn to if they wanted a woman.

Can't see anyone picking Romney, he doesn't bring anything in to play and doesn't pump up the base.

I'd throw Haley Barbour out there as well (Gov - MS) having been head of the RNC he's got the exposure to help a ticket with the base/donors.

10. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

McCain- Libermann(They are very close friends outside of the senete, bi-partisan/ independent ticket) Mike Bloomberg

Obama- Sen. Biden DE, Sen Jim Webb VA(Military Background), John Kerry, John Edwards, Chuck Hagel, possibly an ex General or military officer.

Clinton- Tom Vilisak, Mark Warner, probably a moderate southern or Midwestern governor.

Giliaini- Rick Perry, John McCain, Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney- Probably a southern Govonor. Perhaps Sonny Perdue

Mike Huckabee- HOLY S**T!!!!!! GOD HELP US ALL IF HE IS EVEN NOMINATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

McCain -- Young moderate (a McCain/Bloomberg ticket would be right up my alley)

Giuliani -- Someone who plays to the base (Perry, etc.)

Romney -- Southern Evangelical-type (Huckabee?)

Huckabee -- Joel Osteen or Chuck Norris or Stephen Colbert

Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, et al don't have a realistic shot

Obama -- Older Democrat with experience (Biden, Dodd, Richardson, etc.)

Hilary -- Governor somewhere (Vilisak, Richardson, etc.)

Edwards -- Northerner (Biden, Dodd, etc.)

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Heck, go for the gold. How about Robert Byrd? :rolleyes:

13. tefleming macrumors 6502

Nah, how about McCain/Byrd. We'll call it the "Most Likely to invoke the 25th Amendment ticket"

14. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

This is the "Election of dreams" -
    Richardson possibly the first Hispanic Prez
    Hillary potentially the first woman Prez
    Obama could be the first Kenyan-American Prez

… basically, the Republicans have to choose someone who breaks a glass ceiling of some kind if they want to avoid looking like the party of old white men.

Maine doesn't do anything electorally, so Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe are unlikely.

Sarah Palin, KBH, and Condi Rice would be more likely.

McCain - Palin might work. She's waay younger than him, and they both run on a perceived record of reforming runaway government.

15. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i think at this point it's safe to say barack obama will be on the dem ticket for sure.
    1. barack wins
    2. hillary wins (who else is she going to pick, edwards? :lol: )
    3. edwards wins -yeah right- he said he has tremendous respect for obama. and that's he might pick him.

16. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So Lieberman told the press there's no way he'd accept the VP nomination from McCain. I guess that answers that question.

I also think it's very unlikely he'd reconcile with Romney. The animosity between them gets heavier and heavier.

Personally, I think McCain/Paul would be an incredible ticket, and really push the hot-button "change" issue. Granted, each has a foot in the grave, so it may not be that practical.

I still have to think Edwards would be a prime choice for Clinton or Obama. He's got a ready-made following and is still young enough to have Presidential ambitions in 2016, and being VP is a good stepping stone towards that goal.

Um... no.

17. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Just curious, where does all of this hate for Huckabee come from? Do you hate all Christians that much or is it something else?

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I really cannot see anyone actually picking him. I live in TX and from what I can recall, very few people here actually like him, and the only reason he's still the governor is that the fragmented opposition had too many candidates running so none got enough votes to unseat him.

I think he would do more harm to a ticket than good...

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Something else. Please don't do that far right "all-liberals-hate-Christians" shtick. Tons of us are Christians ourselves. We just fear anyone who says, as Huckabee did, that the Constitution should be warped to conform to (someone's interpretation of) the Bible.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think a ticket Clinton-Obama is very realistic, with Obama having then a great shot at the 2016 election.
    less so Obama-Clinton, but still possible.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why do you think that?

With all of the mudslinging and attacks from the Clinton camp about Obama's past/character/friends I really can't imagine she'd turn around and offer him a VP spot, let alone him accept any VP spot she could potentially offer him.

22. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Agreed.

I think it's unlikely that either pair of finalists from each party will be the winner's running mate.

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

because there has been in reality very little mudslinging between the two especially more recently.

I certainly can see Hillary selecting Obama, and Obama accepting, while i'd agree that the other way round seems more unlikely as probably Hillary would rather remain as NY senator than VP.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree....I think that they both know it would be a tough fight for Dems, and people who wouldn't normally vote Hillary may vote for her knowing Obama will be VP and has a better shot at pres later on and vice versa.

And after the VP question at last nights debate, it really makes me think they've talked about it. It seems like they're definitely getting closer and were hinting towards something

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I believe in the internet world when someone makes a true statement the courteous thing to do is reply with a, "+1."

I think a McCain/Romney ticket will be in order to garner the "disheartened conservative" vote.