Possibly moving to Canada!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Apr 9, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I am seriously thinking about moving to Canada in 2008. Im not going to go into my rants as to why I want to move there you can see that in the Political fourm. I was wondering how hard it is for a US citizen to obtain Canadian citizenship. If I do move to Canada, I am thinking about Vancouver or Toronto as the most likely canidates. I visit Canada frequiently and I personally love the country. Any suggestions are welcomed.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a bastard. Plan on years unless you've got an in-demand degree or your own business.

3. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

Damn that sux. Im just getting really tired of the US and the ultra right here. 2008 is the last hope for this country and our freedoms.

4. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Get out while you can.

This will come off as Anti-American. I don't hate Americans... I just hate thier leader.

In Canada, you don't have to worry about being thrown over to Cuba and having your balls tasered, without charge. You also get free healthcare. It's a bit colder (not as cold as everyone seems to think).

Southern Ontario, BC, Halifax, Calgary are all great choices. I live in a small town 10 minutes west of Niagara Falls, ON.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I live and LOVE Vancouver but the cost of living is through the roof.
    be prepared to spend most of your paycheck on rent.

Getting Canadian Citizenship is a bastard.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

According to wikipedia's entry for Canadian nationality law, A person who is a permanent resident may apply for Canadian citizenship by naturalization (grant) after three years resident in Canada.
    The requirements in full are that the person:
    • is aged 18 years or over
    • is a permanent resident
    • has lived in Canada for a total of three years out of the four years preceding the application for citizenship
    • knows about Canada (a test is required as part of the application process, but only if the applicant is between 18 and 54 years of age)
    • knows the rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship

7. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I live in aan expensive area in the US right now so Vancouver cant be too bad. lol.

But yea at least Canada dosen't torture people and arrest its own citizens with no trial. At least Canada dosen't spend a trillion dollors to invade a counrty for no reason and claim they are spreading democracy but deny their own citizens basic rights and privacy. Our last hope is for Obama, Biden, Kusinich, or even Edwards to become our next president. I am happy though that the Dems and Pelosi have taken Congress. Im just tired of all the ultra right christian nut jobs here turningg this nation into a theocracy!

8. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I think I could do that. I might go to college in Toronto so I don't know if that would count as living there for 3 years. If I was offered a job up there, how hard would it be to establish residency there?

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

10. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I was offered a job with the company my dad works for and the job was to be based in Vancouver. However, I need to go to college and get my degree in Systems Engineering which is what I am planning on majoring in.

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

While I'm thankful on a daily basis that I'm in Canada and not the US, our police aren't perfect.

And yes our healthcare is "free", but we also have horrible waiting times for non-emergency care. If you cut off your thumb and run to the hospital be prepared to wait 8-12 hours (I'm not exaggerating) for anyone to see you.

I honestly believe our living standards are better in Canada and I would never choose the US over it. But it's not all milk & honey.

12. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i think each nation has its problems to a certain degree. but i agree that there's no monica with the current administration, only plenty of screwing.

with the administration on its way out, things will change gradually. but i think what we'll need is some young risk takers, who have nothing to lose and with visions that can set things right.

13. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

No country is perfect. However, Canada is a little bit more progressive and tolorant then the US currently is. Things were ok here under Clinton. But since current this jack*** has came to power here, things have quickly gone down the crapper. I wonder if us Americans will ever get our freedom back. There could be some hope in 2008 though.

14. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Apply at the university of British Columbia then, it is a very fine school and better still you can apply to become a permanent citizen and then after you graduate you could very well qualify for citizenship:)

I'm thinking of moving to the coast one day... I live in Calgary, it is nice enough, but booming like hell without a plan....

There are also lots of smaller cities in the Lower mainland that would be good to live in while providing a slightly cheaper cost of living:) :)

Canada is great, we like immigrants:)

15. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

Unlike a lot of people over here. lol.

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hahaha soooo true this happened to me like a month ago,,, i waited 3 hours to get 5 stitches, which took about 15 minutes or so, and about the cops, well (IMO) they are just *******s, doe snot matter where you go (of course not all of them are, there are some really nice ones, but my guess is a good 80% o fthem are...

17. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

To each there own: but I see the ultra left, vocal celebrities, and the ACLU as the problems. That aside why was G.W. Bush elected - because the majority voted for him, and if people are supposed to learn from there "mistakes" than why was he re-elected?

Just playing devils advocate.:p

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

this is because most of us ARE immigrants, or our parents are immigrants, and we know what it feels like to come to anew country with no family, no friends and for some of us not even speaking english at first, some of us had to come here and sleep on matresses on the floor for the first couple of months or so, with no furniture at allll we understand how hard it is...:)

19. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

The last time I went to Vancouver, some dumb*** started to give me crap b/c I was American. He Kept calling me a Bush lover and nazi and so forth. I basically said I hate Bush and the majority of Americans don't like him and the war. Do you think people would really care that I am from the US?

20. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Well there's ***holes everywhere in the world. Generally I think Americans are well accepted in Canada as most Canadians can separate the people from their leader.

21. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i really don't think so, at least not where i am from. But then again, you will of course have to deal with this kind f stuff, we still have alot of very ignorant people, i am colombian, therefore there is nothing but harrasment everytime i go through and airport, or whenever i tell someone i am from colombia, everybody says jokingly "ohhhhh cocaineeeeeee.." and i know they r jokking and it did not bother me at first so much, but after a while it kind of gets old u know? but i guess it's just one of thos ethings you have to get used to and you will. I mean it's not like you are going to be telling everybody everday where u are from,and i am not saying hide it or anything you should be proud of where you are from IMO, but whta i am trying to say it's that canada is such a diverse country that you won t be asking everybody you meet where they are from because you would have to ask that to mostly everyone. Specilly if you move to a big city in the south of Canada, Toronto, Vancouver..

22. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

completely agree...

23. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Sadly this is becoming a common occurence in vancouver.

Some of my classmates who are here on an exchange from the US had to cut it short due to the amount of harassment they were getting. Not from students but everyday encounters

Most people are very tolerant of various backgrounds.

24. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

The city I live near, Washington DC, and its suburbs are very diverse. There students at my High School from over 100 countries. Most Americans can trace their roots to immagrints just as most Canadians probably can. One thing I have noticed about Canada is that they do not seem nearly as polorized when it comes to issues such as race and politics. I also like the fact that they are not a superpower and do not get into every nations business. I mean what country especially in Europe hates Canada or the Canadian government? The last time I went to Europe, I when told some people I ment that i was Canadian b/c of the crap that I got when I said I was American.

25. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hahah yeah, yu actually get cheaper rooms and cheaper stuff in europe when they knw you are canadian,, last time we went we tried to get a room in amsterdam and the guy askded us for some crazy amount of money so we pretty much told him he was crazy then we turned around and he saw one of my friends backpacks had a canadia flag sticker and he s like ohhhhhh you guys are canadian??? i htough you were americans, so i gave you american price, at the end we got the room for half of wht he was asking for at first