Possibly the Most Beautiful Ad for Marriage Equality We've Seen

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 26, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have nothing more to say. Watch the video.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...Beautiful_Ad_for_Marriage_Equality_Weve_Seen/

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

What do you want us to say...

that its absolutely Faaaabulous?

But it is a good ad, and you could remove the proposal scene and extend to some Pansexual message.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It's not often a video on the internet makes me tear up.

:)

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

In their brief time in the Australian political landscape GetUp! have run some really worthwhile campaigns. I wish them the best of luck as the force of Australian public is behind them on this one.

Another of their notable campaigns was to win a charity auction for a surfing lesson taught by our "conservative" opposition leader. They raised money for an Afghan refugee to do the lesson and talk directly to the leader about refugee issues at a time when the xenophobic political rhetoric was at an all time high.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I didn't find it THAT moving... I mean, that's just me. I'm not saying this to insult anyone or anything, it's just I didn't see the huge impact everyone else seems to see.

8. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Cheese, cheese everywhere! :rolleyes:

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Julia Gillard is truly a self serving politician is two thirds if the country support it.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Aww, its Lee's weekly thread.. :)

Here's an info graphic:

[​IMG]

I have nothing more to say...

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

actually schools teaching gays on how to have sex might actually be a possibility, maybe not in relation to this thread but as a general idea.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wow. Obeygiant made me laugh. Good one!

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

speaking from a strait perspective...we figure it out any way, so probably no harm no foul?

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I am as straight as straight guys came, but still isn't it the same with sex-ed we know about it yet we still get taught so yeh why not offer that as an option for gay people.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I didn't get teary-eyed either -- but then I haven't had to suffer the kinds of discrimination gays have. Either way, it's a nice, warm video that makes its case in an appealing, totally disarming way.

I don't think it's going to change the mind of rabid religious types, although we can hope the ending will jar some of them into thinking.

I love it! Thanks. :D

Hormuz or Magellan?

16. rican macrumors 6502

rican

17. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's a nice video. I didn't tear up, but I'm also a straight guy who doesn't consider marriage to be that big of a deal (or something I ever want to partake in). But, at least I have that choice. It'd be... normal... if everyone could have that choice.

18. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Nice video without being too emotive. There is no same sex marriage in Australia and just two or three states have a form of civil union as I understand. The politico's are not in favour which is ridiculous. We are lucky in NZ with having Civil Unions since April 2005, and we don't have a 'states' issue like Australia or America, but we do have a MMP voting system for our Parliament and had our three yearly run with it yesterday returning a National government (read - Conservative, Tory or Republican) My MP for Wellington central is gay and has a civil union partner, and we've had transgendered MP's and numerous other gays. And we don't seem to have the problems of other countries. I'd like to see same sex marriage coming here though.
    KGB:p

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

Not everyone believes in giving special rights to bizarre alternative sex groups. In fact, most don't. In the past 10 years, 41 of our 50 states have voted on and passed legislation explicitly defining marriage as one man and one woman. 29 of those were amendments to the state constitution, and 12 were via statues. A silly you-tube advert isn't going to change that fact! All we need now is a decent President who will enforce federal law (DOMA). And we'll have that in about a year. :D

20. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

What exactly is it about gay marriage that frightens you so much?

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- you're going to lose. The tide has already turned and people like you will be seen for your bigotry. And why is it that hurting other people makes you happy? Gay people getting married has nothing to do with you.

22. likemyorbs, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Keep dreaming, no you won't. And DOMA will be thrown out by the supreme court VERY soon.

How many states had bans on interracial marriage before the supreme court told them to ******* off?

Do you get some kind of sick pleasure from denying people their civil rights because they go against your fairytale religious beliefs? Wtf is your problem? You're on the losing side of this battle. You will NEVER win this battle in the US, do you understand that? Maybe in Nigeria or some middle eastern nation, but the US is starting to see the light very rapidly. You have no right to tell people who they can and cannot marry, your church is IRRELEVANT and has no say in US law. What part of that is unclear to you? Please explain that to me. You would have been the nazi guard who goes the extra mile to do his job at Auschwitz, and you would have been the dickwad who was protesting to keep black children out of white schools. You're no better than them.

You need to reexamine your life and try to get down to the root cause of your bigotry. Something tells me it has something to do with a 2000 year old book of lies written by humans who thought the earth was flat.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And in turn what credibility does the Dred Scott decision have in the modern world?

I think there is going to be a segment of the population who won't ever accept gay marriage, just like their spiritual forebears wouldn't accept "interracial" marriage, civil rights for blacks, women's suffrage, etc, etc. But it is going to happen, and like the infographic, it's going to fail miserably to bring about the apocalypse. And, even though some may never accept it, their children will.

It's time for the world to move on.

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's right. Gay marriage is like sex with Kobe Bryant, you can kick and scream all you want, but.....it's gonna happen.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly- I think dime21 just comes in here to stir things up. His posts are so extreme and ridiculous, it seems like the only answer.