Possilbe in iOS 7 to see email in notification center but not lock screen?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by durangojim, Jul 31, 2013.

1. durangojim macrumors member

What I'd like to accomplish is to be able to see if I have emails when swiping down the notification center when the phone is locked. What I don't want is to have my phone wake up or display emails on the lock screen when I'm not using notification center. This is possible to do when I unlock the phone, but not when the phone is locked. I thought this was possible with iOS7?

2. Di4mondz macrumors regular

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It is. Just switch it off. See above picture.

4. durangojim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but that actually doesn't work. It will show the emails in the notification center if you view it after unlocking your phone. but if you try to view the emails from notification center while the phone is locked, they disappear, hence my frustration. Not sure if it's a bug or supposed to be that way.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

From your two posts, I'm really not sure what you're after..I don't get what you're trying to achieve? :confused:

6. durangojim, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

durangojim thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'll try to explain better:
    If I have an email and swipe the notification center down after unlocking the phone, I can see the email in notification center.
    If I have the phone locked and swipe the notification center down, the notification for the email does not show up.
    I do not want to see notifications on the lock screen without swiping down the notification center.

I'll post a video

7. josiahsill macrumors member

josiahsill

This is what the OP wants (and I know this because it's what I want as well)

When option: show in Notification Center is selected and show on lockscreen is deselected, you cannot view emails in notification center on the lockscreen. When the phone is unlocked you can then swipe down to view your emails in Notification Center.

We want to be able to swipe notification center IN THE LOCKSCREEN and view the emails. Currently this is not possible.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hmm, so based off of what you're saying, if you turn off having email show in the lock screen, it doesn't show at all, including in NC on the lock screen. But if it's on, it will show on the lock screen and in NC on the lock screen?

If this is the case, I don't think there's a way to have it show in NC on the lock screen, but not on the lock screen itself..

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've noticed this too, but I'm wondering if this might simply be a bug or design oversight in beta so far which might/should be addressed, rather than some sort of an actual (purposeful) limitation of some sort.

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I just tested it and you're right. Maybe Apple thought that if you don't want the emails to show on the lock screen then you won't want them to show in the NC on the lock screen, which anyone can access.

Edit: It's not a bug, it's by design. (as my screen shot below shows). It applies to all notifications. If you turn off show in lock screen they won't show AT ALL.

Attached Files:

11. durangojim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for pointing that out. Wish it wasn't the case though.