Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potentiate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hey guys,

Last month, I took the leap from 10.5 to 10.6 on a whim while shopping at the local Apple Store.

Prior to installation, I made sure to backup my computer using Time Machine (several copies) and updated all pertinent software. I even made sure to repair/verify disks.

Installation went fairly smoothly with the exception of recovering my Itunes music library (which I eventually figured out).

Herein lies the issue. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I have a /library as well as a /library(from old mac). I'm not sure if this is pertinent to my current issue. There are a handful of apps that I simply cannot run anymore. I checked if these were compatible for 10.6 and apparent they are.

Ventrilo is a commonly used program which I can now only open via Terminal. With today's release of Steam, I downloaded the client only to see no response whatsoever when I click on it. After opening it with Terminal, I see the following txt:

Last login: Wed May 12 17:19:02 on ttys000
Infamy:~ root# /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam ; exit;
(44e) bootstrap_look_up: (os/kern) unknown error code (44e)
steam executable via in process memory: '/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32'
Unable to locate one or both of:
'/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/breakpad_inspector'
'/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/breakpad_crash_report_sender'
Crash Uploading will not function.Need new HTTP connection for 63.228.223.104:80
Sending request for http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_osx?date=707611
HTTP client connect completed
Success! http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_osx?date=707611
Removing now closed connection for 63.228.223.104:80
Removing in-use connection for 63.228.223.104:80, 0 left open, 0 requests waiting, 0 requests still in-flight
logout

[Process completed]

After which, no client is active.

I've invested a fair amount of money buying games beforehand without anticipating issues arising. Aside from Repairing permissions (which I've done) or doing a full re-install, what can I do?

TL:DR version: Steam and other programs won't work since I've upgraded from 10.5 - 10.6.

Sorry for being long winded. Any help would be much appreciated.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
To note, the "[...] (from old Mac)" folder(s) isn't likely related--old stuff gets dumped in there instead of deleted surreptitiously, which is nice, but most people can just chuck that folder. Even if you don't, nothing (should) be accessing it. You could always delete it just to be sure, but if something in it were actually being used that would probably just change the error instead of fixing it.

Sorry that my only other suggestion is a reinstall. A basic reinstall (instead of a more extreme install/migrate) is pretty painless, though, and might well fix the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.