Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jleffell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Sorry to those of you who may have already seen me asking a similar question inside other threads but I wanted to open in up.

I purchased a Refurbished MBA around May 28 (just over a week before the latest refresh).

I only started reading this site the day of WWDC and was thus unaware of a possible update to delay my purchase. I bought the 1.8 Rev A HDD and I am disappointing in the speed of applications and the common shuttering issues (I know about Coolbook but I think it's ridiculous that Apple doesn't offer a solution).

I was unaware of the 14-day exchange period (admittedly my fault) but I have now seen Rev B's in the refurbished section with the new graphics card/128 SSD that I would much rather have for the additional $250. I would even be willing to pay the restocking fee to get this machine.

Have people had successful post 14-day refurb returns? The last bit is that my girlfriend will be purchasing a new 2.13 MBA Rev C so I thought I would try and get that salesperson to help but she is waiting for SL and I want to resolve this as soon as possible.

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
I think you're pretty much out of luck. You would need to sell the Rev A then purchase the new one.

Then again, it doesn't cost anything to call Apple and ask.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I think too much time has passed. Still doesn't hurt to ask though. When my friend did that very thing and it'd been 2 1/2 weeks, they didn't do it for him. They told him "14 days" over and over again.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
There's basically no way they will take it back. Sell it, take the hit when you buy the one you want, and learn the lesson.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You bought an absolute PILE OF CRAP! I would complain and tell them of all of the problems over the phone. Tell them you have read that the rev B/C MBAs do not have all those problems... you may even get a free upgrade. I have read MANY threads where people got free upgrades from their original MBAs to rev B models.

The original had just about the worst component makeup ever in Apple's history of building Macs. Bottom line, the original MBA doesn't do what people expect of a Mac.

If you cannot get an upgrade, buy CoolBook as it has saved many of buyers experiences and lead to great results.

jleffell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
You bought an absolute PILE OF CRAP! I would complain and tell them of all of the problems over the phone. Tell them you have read that the rev B/C MBAs do not have all those problems... you may even get a free upgrade. I have read MANY threads where people got free upgrades from their original MBAs to rev B models.

The original had just about the worst component makeup ever in Apple's history of building Macs. Bottom line, the original MBA doesn't do what people expect of a Mac.

If you cannot get an upgrade, buy CoolBook as it has saved many of buyers experiences and lead to great results.

Can you point me to someone who has gotten a free upgrade. I have spoken with several Apple people in customer service/sales and no one will do anything. I even said I was willing to pay for the upgrade but you have really heard about people getting free upgrades from A to B????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.