Post 2017 MacBook Builds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Qu1ckset, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Qu1ckset macrumors regular

Qu1ckset

After wanting a 12" Macbook since the day it was launched , I patiently waited till today and treated myself to a 2017 Kaby Lake i5/16Gb/512Gb Silver Macbook.

I was so tempted to throw in the i7 as well but from benchmarks of the 2015 and 2016 models the i7 was never really worth the upgrade so I don't see it being any different with the 2017.

Now time to look a sleeve and a couple accessories!

What builds do you guys go with ?

2. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I think it all goes down to whether you need more storage or not. If you don't need it, I pulled the trigger on the m7 256 GB instead of the m5 512 GB.

3. Qu1ckset, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

Qu1ckset thread starter macrumors regular

Qu1ckset

Very true, 512Gb is probably overkill for my usuage, but better safe then sorry, leaves me space for boot camp!

Well in previous M5 vs M7 the M7 was only faster in quicker high demand tasks with its higher boosts but in tasks needing constant demand for higher power the thermals throttles made it no better then the M5.

Don't see that changing with the kaby i5 vs i7..

i have a high end windows gaming rig for demanding tasks (which collects dust) , will see how the MacBook goes for me , if well il prolly selling my gaming rig.

Wish the MacBook got ThunderBolt 3 , but probably have to wait till the next gen MacBook.

4. waigx, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

waigx macrumors member

waigx

I personally vote for a powerful desktop + portable laptop.

This model came with only one usb-c (non-thunderbolt) port, makes it basically not extendable. This would be costly if you want to build it as your “main device”, and the result could be frustrating. MacBook Pro is more realistic if you intend to buy a laptop as your “main device”.

Also, i5Y and i7Y are low voltage version -- means that won't be fast as expected. It probably similar to m5 and m7 last year.

5. Qu1ckset thread starter macrumors regular

Qu1ckset

You are right about the i5y and i7y being similar to the M5 and M7 they are just higher clocked and added a few small features.

Cannon Lake will be the next big update , as the upcoming Coffee Lake seems like another tick on the same 14nm process but we shall see