Post 3G speeds from speedtest.net app!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateo200, May 22, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Post your results with screenshots of your speed tests using the speedtest.net app! I want to see what people get over 3G with their iPhones and not just in the US. Verizon is slow...All of these done right by known major verizon EvDO tower...

Attached Files:

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Speed test apps are so grossly inaccaurate that they are not worth using as a valid test.

3. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

You are absolutely correct! I have run many tests on the Verizon Thunderbolt that showed over 20megs downstream. But when I downloaded a 100mb file it averaged about a 6meg download. I did this at least 10 times and got almost the same result each time. 6megs is definitely a far cry from the 20+megs the speedtest.net app was showing.

4. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Wow those are some incredibly high pings! Do you ever have a problem with lagging?

5. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but look at the huge differences in DL/UL.

The measurements he took were a minute apart - one is 1 something, the other one is 6. It doesn't make any sense.

6. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Driving around.

7. TEHi macrumors regular

Outside US.. I wish I had crazy speeds you guys get.. 5 mbps wow

[​IMG]

8. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

im surprised by my result :eek:

Didn't even have full signal!

:cool:

Attached Files:

9. seble macrumors 6502a

Your uploads are faster then my home broadband :O

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Pretty sure this is the fastest speed I've ever gotten from my 3G connection. It usually averages more like 2.5-3.5 DL and 1-1.5 UL.

Attached Files:

11. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

The only people I think who get more spoiled with fast data rates over 3G are the Canadians! Jealous of that speed. Your uplink is faster than my downlink!

12. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Also, HSPA+ (21 Mbps) has been rolled out here for quite some time so the second iPhone supports it we'll be seeing even faster data rates! Hooray!

13. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I'm hoping Verizon over here considers upgrading too EvDO Rev. B.....http://www.intomobile.com/2010/05/18/sprint-verizon-rolling-out-ev-do-rev-b/The theoretical max data rates of 3.1MB/s on VZW just are nothing to write home about I mean people are averaging over my max lmao...

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Yeah, service here is...not great. This was after several tests, trying to get a less-embarrassing result. Grr.

Attached Files:

15. krUnIzZlE macrumors regular

I use Vodafone India. I think its Not bad speeds since 3G is still bieng launched in india.... What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

16. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lol that's what I was doing with all my tests above...what carrier? lmao I dig the fake carrier I've wanted to try that.

17. Azzin macrumors 68040

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Those are the fastest Verizon 3G speeds I've yet to ssee.

19. nateo200, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Serious? Dang..There is an area with a strip mall with a target, Ebgames, verizon store etc. and the tower is about 500 meters from the ebgames...with my droid I got 3.05MB/s down....neglected to test it yet with my iPhone 4 but I'm going to. Lets just say walking out of the verizon store by that tower gave me a really jacked up view of how fast 3G EvDO was! I streamed a YouTube HD video like it was nothing.
    Thanks. I'm trying to form like a "data base" so to speak. I think we all talk and post about data rates but we don't really have a dedicated thread.

iPhone could have handed off to another tower, random attenuation of the signal could happen, plane could fly in front of the panel propagation path, car could be moving away from tower, etc. There is so much more to signal strength than the displayed "bars". Think of the times when you blast music while someone else does the same, you've got a strong "signal" alright but its so insanely loud and the other music is in the way you can't understand it! Same thing happens with cellphones.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's excellent. I haven't seen people hit more than 1Mb on their iPhone 4 (verizon) and normally it hovers at 0.55Mb/s - 0.70Mb/s ... your speeds are really good.

21. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Mine usually suck, on Verizon. I think 2.09 is the highest I ever got. 191 is the lowest ping I ever got.

Attached Files:

22. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm that's pretty slow. I mean that's fine for Facebook but with YouTube I would be begging for wifi...

Those are pretty fast.

I was just sitting here with my iPhone and I noticed all our phones lost 3G so I did a test just for curiosity...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Verizon just to send this over dropbox via 1xRTT (2G) it took a 5 minutes...

Just curious do you guys run these speed tests with the intentions of the getting the fastest by say moving out of the basement, holding your phone up, etc.? I usually just run them sitting where ever I am.

23. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

I run mine wherever I am. We were out on the boat and I had full service so I figured why not. Wasn't too excited with the results (weren't far offshore). Will usually run one if I have full service and not actively doing something. The other 2mbps+ one was sitting on my buddy's couch comparing to his Droid X on Verizon. His did pretty bad on the first shot, then mine did bad on the second shot. Always hit and miss.

Nice ping btw! :p

24. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hit and miss is the right word! Haha I ran a speed test in the middle of a farely large lake and got 1.5MB/s down, was interesting...almost as if the lake had a dedicated cell site! I usually run a test in new places or if I suspect Im in a good service area (or alternatively bad service area :O ). And yes the 1.2second ping over 1xRTT is pretty horrendous...can't imagine facetime over that...