iPad Post a video of your Air 2 NOT distorting

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipadlvr, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ipadlvr macrumors regular

We now are almost split 50/50 of people saying the screen distorts when you hold it and or push a little on the back and it is perfect no issues.

So far we've had a few videos and a couple of pictures showing the defect

I was wondering for the other people who are saying their iPads are perfect, can you post a video of it NOT distorting?

That way we have evidence that it isn't ALL iPad Air 2 that are affected and may be a bad batch.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68030

It's not a defect .....it does happen when you use enough pressure on any tablet. Go try it on an older iPad , Samsung tablet , HTC, Motorola or whoever else. Take these "evidence" threads with a grain of salt. While yes some might have an issue people want to take it to the extreme . Under normal use conditions which involves a slight push down of your finger on the screen this does NOT happen at all. My Samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 I could do it if I pushed hard enough but I can't with normal use. There's no need for video

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Distortion thread wasn't enough? What exactly will this video show?

4. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

WOW. The issue is NOT even about pressing on the screens. Its about holding the ipad with your right hand. The weight of the ipad presses on your fingers as you support the device and the screen will display the effect as if you press on the front.

Of course if you press on any LCD screen this will happen. But that is NOT the problem.

NOTE TO THREAD STARTER. I own 2 ipads that do it and exchanged 1 that also did it. All the display units at The King of Prussia Mall Apple store also do it.

With that said... I can make a video showing my ipad NOT doing it. If I hold my ipad a different way close to the way that causes this it wont happen. However I should not have to worry about where I rest my fingers while just holding an ipad. The Apple store agrees.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68030

I have hold my iPad with both hands still nothing .....making issues out of what !

6. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

It never happens with 2 hands. duh.

I love how just because you don't have the issue you run around as if its not an issue.

Bravo sir.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Post a video of your Air 2 NOT distorting

I have held it in each hand one handed ....

It isn't and issue because it isn't and just blown out of proportion like bendgate

8. Millionaire2K, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014

Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Again you claim something is not an issue because it didn't happen to you.

9. Closingracer, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014

Closingracer macrumors 68030

Because it isn't ? And if we want to. Bring in store models I been to 3 different Apple stores in the last few days and none have this issue

10. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Your full of it because we didn't start talking about the problem until I brought it up yesterday.

It also NEVER happens on the left side or anywhere near the middle. It only happens on the right side.

Holding the ipad with your thumb on the right bezel just over midway down the ipad. A case or cover on or hanging will make it show more. The tips of your fingers supporting the ipad about 2-3in in on the back side. A blue or slightly dark screen shows it best. It is best seen while in the lock screen with the keypad showing with the default background. Any slight moving of the ipad especially in a fanning type motion can cause the effect. Also walking or picking it up like this will make it appear.

Again the Apple store employee was able to replicate the ISSUE very easy after I just handed him mine. He tried ALL the display units and it happened.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68030

I was actually in 2 on Friday and 1 on Thursday testing them out while waiting and would of noticed that if it was there ....I still don't see it doing it the same way your describing it ....

12. Millionaire2K, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

And the issue was first talked about on Friday at 9pm.

Heck I didn't notice the issue on mine until I put the case on and I saw it right away.

I also didn't notice the issue at the store until I went to the store again today to exchange my ipad.

----------

and incase you don't even believe I went and had it exchanged:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE: I still have my ipad and my new 1 also does this. Again it's not a deal breaker. I love my ipad air 2. It is however not right.

13. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

In bed at mo, but if I remember later I'll take a quick vid of mine not doing it while pressing, tapping, etc.

14. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

And then I'll take a video of mine not doing it. Its very easy to not show happen. :cool:

15. donnaw macrumors 65816

Well, I managed to get it to happen to mine if I pressed really hard on the spot on the back shown in the videos. But in regular use mine doesn't do it.

I think this is pretty much like most of the 'defects' we see every year. They are real but not on every device.

I don't have the equipment or frankly the knowledge to post a video. But I certainly do believe some do it. But I also know that not all do because I have one that doesn't unless I purposely try.

16. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Mine doesn't distort a bit, what am I exactly supposed to post a video of...?

17. bobright macrumors 601

Yeah I don't see it pressing pretty damn hard any harder it almost feels like I'll bend the device/metal

18. Millionaire2K, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

So guess what... Consumer Reports now says it happens:

"In fact, the Air 2 is so thin that you can depress the screen from the back of the device. You know how poking an LCD with a fingertip produces a temporary distortion, a small puddle of color? The same thing happens on the Air 2 if you press it from behind—there's no reason to think this will damage the device.)"

So if you support enough weight of the ipad air 2 on your fingers it acts like you're pressing the ipad and it happens.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/happy-with-your-current-ipad-skip-the-air-2/index.htm

PS. To anyone thinking I'm just an Apple hater here is a screen cap of my Apple support page. Note I have 9 devices. Again I love my Apple products. :

[​IMG]

19. donnaw macrumors 65816

Joining the annual lottery is never fun. But if it happens with everyday regular use I would take mine back. It doesn't happen on every device and it most certainly would bother me if mine did it.

Maybe wait a week or so until a new batch comes in. Good luck. If you do exchange I really hope you get a good one too.

Ah, you changed your post while I was responding. Well Consumer Reports isn't the be-all-end-all of things. As I posted not all do it. But either you keep it, exchange until you get one that doesn't or you skip the Air 2. Those are your choices. Sucks but that's it.

20. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Ok, won't bother then.

21. threelions macrumors regular

Doesn't happen on my Ipad 4, didn't happen with my Ipad 1 or 2, didn't happen with the Nexus 7 2013 or my original Mini.

I would actually like to see a video of it happening just to get an idea of how much pressure is being applied. If it's just from one handed use that pretty terrible.

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

Check out the earlier pages. One poster put up a good video of just walking with his.

I don't have the issue either (unless I press really hard on the back) but it seems to affect some iPads more than others.

23. Closingracer macrumors 68030

With enough pressure you can do it on the nexus 7, iPad Air or etc. you really need to press hard on the screen or the back for it to happen.

24. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Here you go. I'm hoping mine is the exception as far as how little effort is needed.

https://vimeo.com/110056823

25. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing. All the videos are about the issue. Others are coming in saying there isn't an issue, but the only video proof I have is like the post above where someone is just holding an iPad and the mere bouncing of walking around makes this happen.

That's not even any pressure at all.

There isn't any video of anyone walking in this way and not have it happen.

Hopefully,someone without the issue can come and prove this isn't a wide spread issue.