Post Bumping Not Allowed

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rs7, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rs7 macrumors regular

So I posted something in the MobileMe form. I needed (and still need) the solution to my question as soon as possible. After over a day, I received to response, so I replied with a bump to help with visibility. I go back today to look if anyone has responded (still none), and it seems the bump was deleted. Is bumping frowned upon?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed it is...

Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump.

It's not big and it's not clever, I'm afraid. ;)

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

11. Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump.. Forum rules etc..

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yes... post bumps are frowned upon. This is from the MacRumors Forum Rules:

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It would be helpful if forum members could glance at the forum rules from time to time.

6. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry....

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Ouch... you've just been juiced!

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No probs. :)

I looked at your post that read:

And it was deleted by an admin, no less. :D

If anyone is feeling charitable, please help rs7 with their query, thanks.
    Backup Windows Computer to MobileMe

9. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Bump... :p

If I remember correctly bumping was bolded in the TOS when i signed up.

10. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

Admin :0
    Well thanks for the help. :)

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

It would be interesting to have some sort of 'unsolved' section where questions that go unanswered could get pushed before slipping into oblivion. Not sure how that would work though. It has happened to me a few times where if you don't get a reply in the first couple of hours, the thread is all but buried.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Kind souls can view a forum, and by clicking on the 'replies' column and flip the arrow in the top dark blue row, you can view all threads with 0 replies which then are ranked next by order of most recently posted.

I suspect that this is how Mad Jew would go about helping and lifting all ignored threads from overnight in key forums, doing a huge sweep in the mornings. It was really nice to see someone take the time and bother to do it. :)

13. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Despite my addiction to and usage of this site, I find the nanny-state level of rule dictation and overbearing nitpickery on the forums to be an occasional irritant.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The forum rules are in place to ensure a better experience for everyone. They are applied to greater degree in some forums, particularly the News threads, over others.

If you have concerns or queries about specific cases of moderation, then please use the Contact Us form where we can then address your points in detail.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Compared to other forums that either require a maximum of a third-grade education, or the others that will delete posts and ban members merely because a mod disagrees, I think we have a fairly happy medium here, allowing for reasonable expression, decent debate, and a minimum of chaff.

BUMP! :p

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Careful Valdore, I don't want you to go the way of Multimedia. :p

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Fixed that for you. :D

18. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Good to know. Just what I need...another way to kill time!

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I know, and admit that this is the largest online forum I frequent, so some of the heavy-handedness is going to be necessary on a site as highly-trafficked as this one.

What's funny is the two or three other forums I'm a daily user of - on one of those, absolutely anything goes. We've had ongoing flame wars, swearing, and grudges between some members that have lasted over the course or years. And it's great... I love every minute of it! :D

Hah - I do recall that controversy somewhat - it happened shortly before I joined if I'm not mistaken.

20. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I agree that there is a lot of unnecessary post deletion here once in a while. However, in the long run, this is the best run forum I have seen/been a part of.

I frequent others in which people are constantly bickering back and forth, swearing, etc... those just aren't as enjoyable as this forum has been for me. I admit I have had posts deleted here, but I get over it and move on.

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Somebody remind me: what're the rules on thread hijacking? ;)

BUMP!

22. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well Valdore, don't get into any trouble.

And Blue, don't smite him anytime soon.

I like his pictures, therefore, he must stay.

John on the other hand, gives me no pleasure, so smite away. :p

23. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Bumping isn't always not permitted...

I recently came across a bump post in the marketplace which I knew broke the forum rules, and so I reported it. Nothing was done about it.

Since I have had a similar bump post of my own deleted in a marketplace thread, I found this very frustrating and so decided to contact the moderation team as Blue Velvet described. Still, nothing was done about it.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sigh.

25. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Nice attitude.

I actually did. Nothing was done about it.

EDIT: I just want to add that I do think this is a great forum. I just think that the rules need to be enforced consistently, which IMO they are not. Every day I see posts which I know break the forum rules, but I have stopped reporting them as I now think it is a waste of my time. This is because of at least two occasions (one of which I have described above), when I have reported it (and subsequently used the contact us form) and nothing has been done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.