Post count in the 'Console Games' forum.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Markleshark, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Just wondering, why doesn't the Console Games forum count towards ones post count?

Fair enough the Political forum, but apart from a few bits and pieces the console games forum is quite grown up these days.

I just think it could do with a small re-evaluation. :)

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

3. cube macrumors G5

All current consoles are evil in some way. That forum has nothing to do here.

4. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, I must agree. I really am impressed how the Console Forum has grown up, mainly since it was split into it's own away from the Apple Games.

Thanks for your input. :rolleyes::mad:

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do they not count in the console section ? :confused:

Edit... just experimented. Your right. :( Damn my post count must be way higher than it purports to be in reality. That severely hampers my slow ascension up the high posters listing.

6. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Nope. Not according to the rules, anyway.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That change was made to reduce the attraction for flamers and other troublemakers; perhaps a reason why it has improved.

Who cares about post count? And why?

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can read the original announcement and discussion about the Console Games forum. There are more "official" explanations in the About thread.

Having posts count increases the risk of spamming, and if it ain't broke we don't want to fix it, so Blue Velvet's questions are key to evaluating the tradeoff.

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Well honestly, who has problems with chess? Although I can see how threads titled "Knight to A3 or C3, Advise needed." got old. ;)

p.s. yes grammatically speaking it should be advice not advise.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wouldn't taking away post counting in the games thread encourage spammy, mindless messages since they're given such low value? There needs to be weight added to posts.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, because people don't post just to up their post count.

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I would agree partially with this. I find people will post a lot to get their post count up to 500 just so they can get an Avatar. Then after that people don't care about their post count as much and tend not to post as much.

13. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I think there are enough mindless messages randomly infecting the boards at this very moment.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think its interesting....personally, I'd make them count...because I can't see why they shouldn't(the reasons give don't cut it for me)......but its not a big issue for me....

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well one thing for me is, just like the political forum, they're bound to attract extreme views which can evolve into long rhetorical fights and troublemakers. With the post count benefit taken away, some people won't bother to venture in there (for whatever reason) and a more civil forum is born.

16. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thats the angle I'm looking at it from.

I'm not hugely bothered, but the reasons for it counting far out weigh the reasons for it not counting. I just don't see why it shouldn't in the Console Games section and yet they still do in the iPhone forum... No difference at the moment, really.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because the Games forum used to be horrible, far far worse than the iPhone forum, and all the hooha was about things that weren't even about Apple products. So steps were taken to make it what it is today, which is far more civilised.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, who cares about post count? I've never paid attention to mine until someone asked about me not having an avatar. But I get your point and I agree.

Well, technically there is a fair amount of spamming both in marketplace and other places. ;)
    LOL
    Very true!

I guess you're right but my views don't change with post counts turned off. :)

I think it should be turned back on but then again I didn't know it was off and more importantly I don't really care. My 2 cents in my spam post. ;)

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh, but you have more than 500 posts already;)

Those who seek an avatar are going to be looking for places to post outrageous claims, hoping to begin an epic debate which will undoubtedly end up being heavily moderated. From an admin/mod perspective, it's easier to simply say "posts not counted" and not have to deal with it.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Does anyone really make posts for the post count?

I had no idea my posts weren't counting.

The reason it has improved is that all of the consoles have been out for over a year. We had XBox fans playing their system while Wii and PS3 fans were going "Ours are going to be better!" and then the systems came out and everyone argued...now everyone's gotten used to coexisting.

I have over 6,000 posts...how many would I have if my Console Games posts counted? That's where the majority of my activity is.

21. asxtb macrumors 6502

I fully agree. I think they should count. This is an online community.... except for the Console Games and Political Forums. :(

As GFLPraxis said, who really posts just for the post count? If someone is going to spam and make a bunch of ridiculous comments, not receiving a 'point' isn't going to stop them.

I'm just a unimportant regular that doesn't post much. But I do spend quite a bit of time in the Console Games forum. I really don't care about my post count and as you can see can't get an avatar yet. (Been around for 2 years though.) If I really wanted one, I could re-post the same BS that 50 people before me posted on the same threads that are started everyday in every other forum. Instead I try to make my posts worth something whether that be in the iPod forum or the Community forum or the Console Games forum.

I think people starting new threads about the same topics just to increase post count are more of a problem than the Console Games forum.

Of course I could always just post multiple times in the same thread like this, to increase my post count. :p

Alright! 271!!!

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that might be, but since it's better now, why not try letting the posts count again? with maybe a policy of a short ban for flamming or whatever

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We did what worked, and beforehand the forum caused so many problems and work cleaning up the mess, that the admins and mods at the time discussed all the possibilities for fixing it as pointed out by Q earlier in the thread. The last thing we want to do is to start wading in there and banning people, and besides, so few post reports were coming from there from the core users, that arguments used to get way out of hand before anyone used to deal with them.

I see no enthusiasm from any of the 'staff' for the situation to change at all.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's unfortunate, but the Marketplace and other areas you refer to are more directly related to the purposes of our forums -- Apple and its products.

Your claim sounds reasonable, but our experience has shown us the opposite is often true.

25. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

If you don't care about your post count why do you care if your posts "count"?

And if you care about your post count, then the question is just "why?".

Not counting posts is a very, very effective way of reducing meaningless and troll posts.