Post Deleted

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abcdefGARY, Feb 28, 2009.

1. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I don't have experience with either, so my opinion might mean nothing to you.
    However, the idea of snug-fitting cases like these scare me.
    It just seems like it would KILL the heat dissipation of the computer's case.
    It's like wrapping your laptop in a blanket.

That's how it seems to me, at least.

3. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I have the incase on my Penryn MBP and couldn't be happier. It has an almost rubbery texture to it that is grippy and fantastic.

I as well was skeptical about the heat issue, but after using SMC fan control to monitor temps, they seem to be the same as without the case. My main concern is that the weight added to the top lid might wear out the hinge faster.

Good luck with your decision!

4. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have the Speck satin case on my 15" pro, and I love it. It's vented on the bottom as well, and watching the temperature levels, they are exactly the same. No difference.

I've seen the InCase on a friends MacBook, and I personally like the Speck a lot more. I reviewed the speck in the link in my signature, if that helps you at all.

5. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

Neither, those cases make your computer significantly thicker...Instead, you should get the zagg invisible shield. No thickness and it makes your computer amazing and virtually scratchproof.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Get this incase, its fairly obvious to be honest. Some people go on about how Speck have got their act together and are now producing higher quality products (epsecially the satin one) but looking at my 15" MBP covered in scratches i dont think thats the reality. I'd rather be safe and stick with Incase.
    The problem with specs is i think the type of plastic they use, it seems to be a dust magnet, and this is what ends up scratching your computer, but it takes a while to happen, at least 3 months. Personally i'd rather not have to remove my case for cleaning every few weeks.

8. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

That's the problem people have with it actually. They specify this on their website, and I'm sure they also point it on their product. But the majority of people let it on the computer, never to be removed. If you don't remove the case to clean it, it WILL scratch.

But give absolutely no protection against dents, which is the point of having a hard shell.

9. bettykoyle macrumors regular

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Have you even seen or felt the new Satin cases??? They're an entirely different plastic. I had one of their previous cases and I agree it attracted dust, scratches, and cracked so easily. I also agree that with the previous generation MBP, Incase had a superior product. The new Incase however provides no protection for the entire DVD area whereas the Speck does. I've had my Satin case for a little over a month and just removed it to find no particles or scratches underneath.

The point of a hardshell is to prevent fine and deep scratches, they aren't designed to sustain impact. They DO offer more dent protection than an invisibleshield though ;)

11. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I love the Satin, it intrudes very little on the aesthetics of the computer and stays on. Also, it is easier to grip because of its rubberized finish. I've never had it slip off and it doesn't rattle around or anything. The weight is noticeable, but it isn't enough not to use it, if that makes sense. Benefits are worth the little extra weight for me. The only thing I can think of that disappointed me was the weight it added to the screen. Because the Unibody has a new hinge mechanism to allow the magnetic latch to function properly, it seems the screen is easier to move. When you add the weight of a case on that, the screen becomes somewhat more floppy.

13. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

14. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Just don't forget to clean the MacBook once a week, or you have a high chance it will scratch.

15. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

mygearstore.com has the black in stock, and I got mine in only a few days, recently.

The Speck Satin is great. Ignore the naysayers. It's NOT a dust magnet. It's still spotless, and I popped off the case today to see the supposed dirt that will get under the case... Guess what. Nothing. Not a single flake of dust.

I like the extra protection above the CD drive and the InCase doesn't have that. It's more "open" on the side. Plus, never having anything but bad luck with InCase on my iPhone (Cases too tight, black coating flaking, customer support taking over a month to get me a replacement case) I have little faith in InCase at the moment.

Itsmemorphious on YouTube puts the Macbook on a home digital scale, with and without the Speck case on, and it adds about 1 pound to the over all weight. Not bad at all.

16. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

17. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Oh! Sorry then, I ordered mine and received it a week ago, since then they must have sold out. I apologize!

18. Smacky macrumors 6502

19. MACZ macrumors newbie

I own the new incase hardshell for MBP and I think it's pretty much the same as the spec satin. The rubberish exterior and softer interior ( i don't know if satin has the same soft interior or not).

The reasons i choose incase are because i don't want to wait for the shipping and i prefer the color of incase.

I don't know if satin has the same issue as incase but i can't close my MBP complete, it has a small gap which i think because of the small part of the case that clip on to the MBP.

FYI, you can put itsmemorphious at the coupon code section to get 10% off at myGearstore.

20. Intense macrumors regular

21. chipmonkey macrumors newbie

Oh man, he drives me up the wall. "Hey guys, dude, dude, dude, ok guys, sorry guys," etc, etc.

He should do ad's for the Slapchop.

22. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

sometimes, i think hes about to have sex with his mac products
    still a great guy nonetheless

23. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I just finished ordering a Speck Satin case online. I'm super happy since I found a coupon code online for 50% off the purchase. It ended up being about $32 with shipping included.

:D

24. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

25. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I got the Speck Green Hard Shell. It is not the Satin. I love it. I take it off every week and Clean it. Every once and awhile there will be some dust that gets under but it does not scratch my macbook. I love it.

(The speck cases for the White/Black Macbook scratched the **** out of the computer, but they must have fixed it with the newer ones.)