Post Deletion Feedback

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by avigalante, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Deleting comments now a norm for a mods?

I clearly was excited that I was the 2nd post and therefore posted that I was 2nd - later in that same post, I proceeded to assert that I was jubilant in the fact that this patent filing reveals more color on forth coming official applications from Apple.

Note to Moderators: Please refrain from deleting posts, seems a bit unbureaucratic and extremely unnecessary - no need for you guys to go on power trips and deleting comments.

2. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

The mods delete posts about being first, second, etc. because this information has no place in the thread. Someone just has to look at the number next to your post to know what number you are. If being the first or second response is important to you, no problem, just keep it to yourself. The mods don't appreciate people placing posts concerning the speed of their response (most specifically when that is the ONLY thing the post contains). Arn and the other mods are here to keep the threads clear of as much clutter as possible. It is their site, and they have the freedom and right to remove any posts they do not want on the site.

3. avigalante thread starter macrumors 6502

avigalante

Yes, I am very well aware that this is Arn's website and that you can see the post count by looking at the number to the side.

However, my post was not unrelated as it mentioned the patents and article. I was excited and posted that I was 2nd, followed by how it was interesting to see details through various patent filings on official applications from Apple. Not sure how that results in a full-out deletion of a post. It would have made more sense to edit rather than to delete.

Again, seems a bit more of a power trip than anything else.

EDIT: I really don't want to discuss this any further, I was expressing my concern and that's all. I'm not going to thread-crap and create nonsensical or ill-sensed feelings in a patent filing discussion thread.

4. Eric Cartmac Guest

I agree with you! I think the real reason they del.aeTd&#khATDT+++[NO CARRIER]

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you have an issue regarding a specific case, please contact a moderator privately through PM.

6. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

These posts have been moved from this news thread to the Site and Forum Feedback Forum, which is the appropriate place to discuss such issues if a PM to a moderator or arn is insufficient.

Regarding why such posts are deleted, please see the forum rules. "First" and "second" posts are considered useless posts, and are deleted because they add nothing to the thread. They are also very annoying to many members of the forum who see it as a form of trolling.

If a post is predominantly useful and has a tacked on "first" or "second" remark, then if the mod has time to edit the post, he/she will. Otherwise, the post is deleted.

EDIT: first 3 posts moved. others were posted while i was typing...

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Note to YOU: Stop spamming the board with pointless posts that are obviously against the rules

Look under things NOT to do.

Hint: take from this what you will, let it drop and read the rules. Funny how people usually keep egging on the mods about deleting posts and get themselves deleted.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Will people ever stop posting to say "2ND!" or "1ST!". It's very irritating and doesn't contribute to the discussion. I'm with the mods on this one.

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

What exactly is so exciting about being the 1st or 2nd person to post?

10. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I guess they finally have bragging rights that they spend more time on the site because they were the 1st or 2nd to reply.

Quite honestly I don't see the point of posting a "HECK YES I GOT THE 1ST REPLY. I AM COOLER THAN ALL OF YOU." post. I would much rather have an Apple employee high five. ;)

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Rest assured, that is far from the case. As others have stated, the first place to check why the mods have done this or that is the forum rules, terms and conditions we all agree to abide by when we sign up.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It boosts your IPR (Internet Personality Rating™) three fold :cool: :D

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, what?

14. avigalante thread starter macrumors 6502

avigalante

Note to YOU: First off, no need to insult or call people out - clearly you have not bothered to read my post or the succession of messages in this thread. You can clearly see why I was upset, as I had mentioned the patent filing with respect to the applications.

This is exactly what was written:
    Second - While I appreciate your gesture, your assumption is incorrect; I am very well informed of the forum rules - I read through them the very day I joined.

Hint: take from this what you will, but next time read through the entire conversation/thread before commenting - it may be worthwhile to know exactly what has been discussed.

See above response, as you have failed to do the same (in terms of reading the entire conversation/thread).

Never said I was any cooler or anything - I was discussing the patent and albeit a bit excited that I made the front page. So if you feel it necessary to make a mockery out of it by stating you'd rather have an "Apple employee high five" go right ahead. I will not stoop to this childish level.

To all of you: I had the decency to stop thread-crapping, I made 2 posts and that was it. I even had the decency (unlike most spammers/trolls) to edit my post and clearly state that I do not want to discuss this further because of the very fact that it was in a news discussion thread.

Refer to the following post:

Interesting how all of you support one another and say that my mere little "2nd" was childish - yet I have to deal with the same kind of childish comments made by MODERATORS of this website.
    Refer to the following post:
    • This is neither amusing nor remotely funny
    • Stop trolling - insults or snide remarks are NOT welcome
    • This is a useless comment and should be deleted for the very fact that it does not ADD value to the discussion

So if you pride yourself on professionalism and the fact that "we're not in grade school" - then stick to it because it screams hypocrisy otherwise.

That said, the proper decision should have been to edit the comment and take out whatever was deemed to be as "spam" as opposed to a full out deletion.

Should you have any questions/concerns feel free to PM.

15. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Yet you chose to ignore the #1 rule on the list of things not to do...

It is you who is being childish. If everyone who made it to the front page put down 1st! 2nd!! 3rd!! 4th!! It would be very annoying for vast majority of the users. There's nothing wrong with being excited, but you don't have to type it out and post it.

What's that got to do with anything? That still doesn't make your original post any less against the rules.

Moderators may have to read hundreds of posts, and on top of that they have other things to do other than looking over your posts. Why should they take the time to edit something that is blatantly against the forum rules? It says clearly under "things not to do" that such posts would be deleted, not edited. In your words, posts that starts with insults to other members but proceeds to discuss the news should only have their offensive parts edited out, not deleted.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm glad you decided not to take my advice and read the rules and stop egging on the moderators.

Sort of fun that you tell me not to call you out, then turn around and bite a moderator's ass to see if he'll jump.

Should make this thread quite fun as we see you spiral out of control on your way to getting banned.

If you have a problem with the mods, or one.

PM them, they generally don't want to fight it out in public -- nobody can blame them.

So they tend to delete the thorn in their side quite quick.

17. avigalante thread starter macrumors 6502

avigalante

Not quite - I did have something insightful and meaningful to say. So all is not lost and I really didn't ignore rule #1.

Really, would it? It should really be no problem, if one is posting anyway and happens to mention that they are "1st! 2nd!! 3rd!! 4th!!". You seem to be overly presumptive in your claim - have you ever polled this? You shouldn't speak on behalf of everyone. Then again, I am just playing devil's advocate for this point.

Well, some moderator had the audacity to say I was spamming the board and therefore implying that I'm a spammer - the point I was trying to draw was that if I indeed were a spammer/troll I would continue to prolong the issue forward in that thread without rest, but I didn't. The fact that it is or isn't against forum rules wasn't addressed - so clearly that was being held as a constant.

No one asked you to be a Moderator - if you can't do your job, then hand it over to someone who can.

Interesting how you don't address the point of me being personally attacked and ridiculed. So you address the points that are in your benefit and disregard the ones that aren't - seems a bit politically incorrect.

This is a dead issue, and there's no use in discussing because it's a lost cause. I am ending this discussion here, because quite frankly, I don't have the time to discuss this for days on end.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dude, just don't post about being second or first; either have something useful to say or don't say anything.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Please, please 1 or 2 more posts ... you're so close. [​IMG]

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh come on, lighten up :rolleyes:

On that note, you seem to be happy to end the discussion, so lets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.