Post Excerpts or Entire post?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by celticpride678, Feb 18, 2010.

1. celticpride678

I currently have a website, http://www.itsalltech.com, and am wondering whether to have post excerpts (first few lines of post) and then have a read more button or just show the entire post from the beginning. Which do you think would be better?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If it's a site with a low volume of posts per day (1 or 2) then full is fine but it looks like you have many. In that case the first snippet is usually fine by me.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a lot of posts, but they are very short, at least the ones I clicked on. Hitting "read more" only gives the users a few more sentences. The current excerpt gives them about 80% of the post. In these cases you might as well show the whole post.

One advantage of displaying full posts on the front page, is that the content gets indexed by search engines more quickly, though simply having the links to the post partially helps in that way, but your home page gets checked more often. I like the post slider at the top of the page going between posts. I recently added a similar thing, but smaller scale, to my home page, but it's only partially complete. I want to add manual controls to it.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still experimenting with how much of the post to actually display in the excerpt, so it will probably not show that much. I feel that with the Continue Reading link, it gives the page more organization, and a cleaner look.