Post-Firmware Upgrade: External Screen Problems Run Amuck

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Knolly, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Like most of you, I upgraded the firmware on my aluminum Macbook the other day...

Just to put it out there first, most of the time, my Macbook is running in closed lid mode connected to a monitor and other peripherals. The monitor is connected via a MiniDisplayport to DVI dongle.

Prior to upgrading the firmware, every once in awhile when I'd wake the computer from sleep, it would be static. Sometimes if I waited a few seconds it would then get the picture, other times I'd have to unplug and replug the monitor.

But now, the vast majority of the time, I just get nothing. The computer wakes and it's just black. I wait, nothing happens. I have to unplug and replug in the monitor pretty much every single time.

Just curious if this is a isolated issue or if anyone else's external monitor has been on the fritz lately.

2. lomotion1 macrumors newbie

I seem to have similar problems with my external monitor setup. When I leave the macbook pro (late 2008 model) closed and use the computer, let it sit for a while and it is supposed to sleep. The monitor goes to sleep and the computer seems to but the light isn't pulsating. When I try to wake, I either get no display at all or just a mouse pointer on the external display and nothing on the macbook (if I open it back up) I have to do a hard reboot. Not a good situation. I dont think it happened before the 10.5.6 update but I'm not certain.