Post here if you got a standard res 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Mar 11, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So seeing all these high res 17" threads, I figured we needed our own just to see if we have issues or whatnot.

So I have a matte one. No yellow tinting, minimal backlight bleed.

Everything else is cool.

2. dimonay macrumors member

Yeah! Woo! Standard res ftw!

Too bad my MBP isn't Penryn... :(

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

4. cujoe86 macrumors member

I just changed my order with Apple from the glossy to the matte. I used to be a die hard glossy advocate but after spending a good part of today in my college's video lab playing around with their new MBPs they got in this morning, I decided that I wanted the matte and the biggest deciding factor for me was just how bright the screen was. It really boils down to personal preference and with the current displays Apple sports in their new MBPs, I just had to get the matte.

Worked out well for me too. I ordered my new MPB on March 1st,
    [​IMG]

When I just called to have it changed to the matte version and questioned the long delay between my order date and ship date, the apple guy was very helpful and refunded my shipping charge and also threw in a free apple remote without me even requesting anything.

[​IMG]

On top of that, I may end up getting it at the same time or even sooner than if I would have waited out my glossy order even though this is considered a new order as of March 12th. He quoted me a 7-10 business day ship time for the 17'' his res matte screens and a 4-5 week ship time for the new orderd glossys. Either way, I'm pretty happy now and two thumbs up for Apple support.

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Yellow tinting has never been an issue with the standard-res 17" screens, because they are not LED-backlit screens even now.

6. ctishue macrumors member

I really wish the 1680x1050 screen was LED too as I think its a good resolution compromise between the 15" and 17" hi res. The 17" hi res just seems like it would strain the video card too much when gaming at 1920x1200. I don't think the 8600m GT would handle it all that well.

I'm still trying to decide between the tradeoffs of the 15", the 17" base, and 17" hires...I just need to make a decision as my original core duo macbook pro has bitten the dust.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

17" Hi-Res with an external monitor with lower resolution (or 720P HDTV) could be a good solution for you. Of course its more pricey, but that way you'll have the nice hi-res screen for photo/video editing or whatever other kinda stuff you do that really benefits from hi-res. And you'll have something thats easy to drive for gaming. This is what I'm considering getting.

Have a look at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE1...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205866762&sr=8-2

Same res as the 15" MBP, but much bigger.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Whoa your core duo mbp from all of 2 years has bitten the dust?!? How that happen???

9. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Adding the additional display would essentially split the VRAM in half which is going to kill textures at any decent res.

10. ctishue macrumors member

The serial ATA on the logic board died. I've swapped drives between a macbook pro from work and my personal one to confirm. I'm a perfect case of "should have bought applecare". Its not a total lost cause though. I'll get a cheap replacement core duo logic board off ebay and then sell it to someone for a nice price. It's an excuse to get a new laptop and buy applecare this time. ;)

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sorry to hear, thats what frightens me the most is the logic board failures, thats why I always buy apple care.