Post here if you have exchanged your Yellow Screen MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zwhaler, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I just got my 2nd MBP today, because the first one had a whole series of issues. The first one had a flawless LG screen, and this one came with a Samsung, and sure enough, the bottom fourth of the screen is noticibaly yellow, especially on a white background. I just want to know how many of you exchanged your MBP for one without a yellow screen, because I just want one with a good screen. Also, iStat is telling me my battery health is 98% :(

2. PDE macrumors 68020

I did. My first was an LG - yellowish one-third and non-functional arrow key. Sent it back to amazon and went to buy one at the Apple Store. The one I first got had the terrible screen flicker and I didn't even bother to create an account on it to check what display it had. Took a little convincing (several sales people on the floor looked and couldn't see the obvious flicker. Finally a genius came by and saw it), but then they happily replaced it with a new one. THis one has an LG display that does NOT have the lower section yellow tint. Has a little more light bleed at the bottom but that's only visible with a black backgrounds. So, yes, there are displays that don't have the lower yellowishness....

3. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

Mine is absolutely perfect with the screen and it is a Samsung too. I do not think the brand has anything to do with the problems some are having because they appear to affect both brands. Anyhow, I just did notice after reading your post here that my battery is showing 96% with 1 charge cycle logged. Is this normal or some type of defect in the battery?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you calibrate the battery?

5. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

No, what is the process in doing this? Thanks...

6. mac2be macrumors member

7. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

8. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Don't worry about it. It kept the thread at the top of the page :D

I am simply debating weather or not to return the MBP, because I will be keeping it for quite some time. The thing is, the yellowing at the bottom of the screen is not that bad. Just slight, but it does bug me. I just want to know how easy it is to convince the Apple people to exchange it, as this will change my decision.

9. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

Thanks. What about the fear of getting a replacment that may have bad pixels and such? I feel like we are at vegas rolling the dice with these things and I am so glad mine is great. You mnetioned the yellow is minimal. How would you describe it more detailed? I have checked mine every which way and the whites are white all the way down the screen. In fact I have never seen a display this nice. I would be fearful of getting something worse in return.

10. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Returned 9c68 Also.

I returned mine for another.

A couple things that I noticed having two different MBPs.

The first was absolutely perfect in build quality except for the faulty screen (Yellow tint, fail gradient tests).

The second seems more flimsy (When I close the lid, there is play between the display and the laptop). Also the keyboard seems more flimsy, seems to collect fingerprint oils.

The display on the second is better than the first, but there is clouding on black backgrounds (As well as light bleeding from the corners).

It does pass the color gradient test, though.

I think I may keep this one despite its flaws. I still think that the new displays are inferior to my last gen macbook pro.

I believe that my 2nd generation macbook has a better display than both of the LED models that I have had.

11. SteveM8 macrumors member

The last gen

The last gen 2.33 had a much better display than the two LED 2.4's I have had. I sold my 2.33 and wish I would of kept it as it was PERFECT. These new LED"s, while a bit faster are NOT as nice as the displays are sub-par. To those who say they never saw a nicer laptop display, I bet you did not own the last gen macbook pro. My 2.33 was crisp, bright and 100% even. These new LED's have the yellow tinge at the bottom and i exchanged my 1st and got a 2nd that is a bit worse!

12. dbboy macrumors newbie

I went through two new sr machines (both with yellow tint at the bottom of the screen) at the apple store before they pulled the plug and made me make a choice between one more and the restocking fee if I didn't like it or my money back. With those odds, I got my money back. The LED screens may be brighter/crisper but doesn't hold a candle to my C2D 2.33 display. On top of that, the "genius" was a complete a**hole when we were being very nice. Of course he never heard of the yellowing problem and swore he couldn't see it even though it was painfully obvious. What the heck is wrong with Apple and some of their employees? I'm just trying to get a decent screen for $2500 and this guy is trying to make me feel like an idiot for doing so. I was seriously pissed but ultimately glad I hadn't sold my "older" machine yet. It may run a little hotter but it's far better than the crap they're selling now.

13. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I totally agree with you on this, as my MBP (2nd one) has a flawless enclosure, and no software issues. I am over the very slight yellow tint at the bottom, and will keep this one as I do not want to exchange it for one with more issues than this one.

14. hi-there macrumors member

Correct colour profile might help.

No doubt some displays are hardware faulty but some others might read this thread and think that their display is faulty too. I have uploaded my colour calibrated icc profile on this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316386) and one person has reported to have 'fixed' their yellowish display issue.

Might be worth giving it a go. If t does not work, nothing lost.

15. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I just installed it, and it helped the yellowing a little bit but actually makes it unnoticable. Very nice calibration, except it is a little too red for me. But perhaps that is what fixes the yellow. Thanks though!

16. iDive macrumors member

I got my third SR MBP today. My first one (Samsung) had a bad yellow tint on the bottom 3rd of the LCD. The second one was much better but had a BRIGHT GREEN stuck pixel dead center on the screen :eek: !

I am happy to report that my third one (LG display) is flawless and I have no issues with it so far. Kudos to the Apple store for exchanging without too much of a hassle, but shame on Apple for having such a bad quality control.

17. dcv macrumors G3

I did - my first MBP had the yellow tint at the bottom of the screen but the primary reason for returning it was the fact that it kept kernel panicking and hanging on restart.

My replacement is significantly better but the bottom of the screen is still unevenly lit and there is a dead pixel :( so am still not a happy bunny :eek:

18. rclAlaric macrumors newbie

I just received my 3rd SR-MBP 15" this morning (sent from China on Friday, way to go Fed-Ex!).

The first two had Samsung screens with the bottom third of the screen displaying a yellowish tinge.

This one has the LG screen and looks beautiful. I am now in the process of search these forums looking for good LG calibrations.

I guess the third time is a charm for me!

Now, I can finally get things done!

19. wako macrumors 65816

I am on my second MBP....

The first one had a LG screen, and the bottom right as noticably more yellow. The bottom was yellow, but it was alot more noticable on the bottom right.

This second one I have now bottom third is yellow. A bit more noticable than the first one, but not as noticeable as the bottom third on the first one. So in my books thats a bit better, I think... I rather have it spread out than isolated...

Im hesitant on getting it replaced because honestly it is TOO much of a hassle. I have to migrate everything and it takes 2-3 hours in the store. Also, since my LG screen had the same problem, Im thinking my luck will probably give me another defective one. Im just going to wait awhile until Apple figures something out. By then hopefully they will have better LED screens and when i call it in to get it replaced, they will replace the screen with one that isnt discolored.

Besides, for me it doesnt bother me THAT much. It is annoying but it isnt making me panic. I rather have a tint of yellow then a big red stuck pixel in the middle of the screen :)

20. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Could you provide your build week (the 2 digit number after the 7 in the serial number) and screen type (matte or glossy)? Thanks.

21. rclAlaric macrumors newbie

22. Wipeout macrumors member

While I have not yet decided whether to request that Apple replace my machine - it has the yellowish tint on the bottom third of the display - I am more than a little dismayed by Apple's approach to quality control and resolution for this particular issue.

That a substantial number of users who are justly unsatisfied with a key element of their premium product are uncertain whether to engage in a game of roulette with Apple, ie: trading in a bad screen for the "potential" of a better LCD, while at the same time wary of other manufacturing defects which may well be present in the replacement laptop, suggests a pretty shameful business ethic on Apple's part. Sure they will replace a DOA for the first 14 days, with what: another DOA. That's not thinking differently, that's thinking greedily.

If the screens are dodgy Apple should d**n well stop the f*****g assembly line and fix the problem; offer replacement lids for anyone who feels that their $2500.00 computers are not worth the price of admission. At very least they should not passively hand out replacement machines from the same gimpy stock in the hopes that discerning customers will eventually be frustrated into submission; time to own up to the booboo Apple!

My personal feeling is that a LOT more than a few of these new machines have this particular issue, but that many people just do not find it a bother (or would find the Apple-cum-Vegas routine more of a bother), or are altogether unaware of the problem.

Apple makes some great products, there is no contesting this. But there is a certain cavalier way that they seem to approach reconciling manufacturing errors; I have read about this with batteries, heat, former iterations of the MBP screens, etc.

I really like my new computer, save for this one aspect of the LCD. I watched and waited over 18 months to see Apple finally release a build that was spec'd the way I needed it.

I really like OS X, but to be left with the itchy feeling that apple knows they have you over the barrel for the priviledge of using the one and only is distasteful.

23. wako macrumors 65816

If you guys want something done about this, start calling AppleCare and go onto the discussion board on Apple's website and start raising questions and posting about the subject. Right now Im trying to keep THIS thread alive so that hopefully it will begin sending messages to Apple that something is wrong.

I personally will be calling AppleCare soon so they can begin to investigate what is going on. Posting on MacRumors and voicing our concerns here wont do.

If we dont do something, Apple will just shuffle this under the carpet and we get screwed over in the end.

24. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

25. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Excellent post and my sentiments exactly. They should've flown an exec and several engineers out to Shanghai as soon as they heard about this problem (and with the high number of exchanges, how could they not have?)