Post Here if Your Powerbook/Battery is suddenly having issues...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by agentphish, Dec 7, 2007.

?

What Speed PB and Did it die gradually or suddenly

Poll closed Jan 11, 2008.
  1. 1.67ghz Gradually

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1.67ghz Suddenly

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 1.5ghz Gradually

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 1.67 Suddenly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other Speed

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

For all of you who are having these battery issues I'm looking to find out really 2 things...Did it just die like suddenly or has the battery life been less and less gradually over the last year...Also what model powerbook do you have?

I am thinking some powerbooks in the 1.5ghz/1.67ghz model range have a big problem all of a sudden...I have seen 3 (my fiancee's and two of our friends who were in school with us all 3 of whom purchased their laptops within a month of eachother) in the last 2-3 weeks suddenly demolish their batteries and not accept any charges.

All three of these machines where fully functional just fine, still holding 2+ hour charges. Then one day the batteries where just ZAPPED. 2 of them were the recall replacement batteries, one of them was an original battery.

One running 10.5.1(1.5ghz-pre-hires screen), one 10.4.11 and one 10.4.10 (both of these are 1.67ghz machines)

My financee's is covered on applecare who I just called yesterday and they are sending a new battery to her (should be here today) but I'm afraid either it wont charge or its going to get zapped. So we'll see what happens.

Our friends didn't buy applecare (dumb I know) and when they took their powerbooks to our local apple authorized service place who is very reputable (no apple store nearby) they said they didn't know why it would happen suddenly like that, but that they most likely needed a new DC-in plug or there was a problem with the logic board that was frying the batteries.

Personally, I think these machines are suddenly turning up defective in the battery charging/DC-In/PMU dept and even though they are slightly older machines, apple should do something about this. It's just like a car, if something starts going wrong with a bunch of cars in a certain model year, typically a car manufacturer issues a recall no matter what the age of the car is.

It's too much of a coincidence that this is happening to all of these people here on the apple discussion boards with powerbooks suddenly at the same time.

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

specs in signature.

Died suddenly. Got a replacement in August and haven't had problems.