Post iOS 7: Bad battery? Solution: don't use Cellular WITH Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Heresiarch, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Heresiarch macrumors member

I've found this solution on different forums here and there, and tested by myself and it's working great. But I wanted to make a separate thread to help people find this solution easier.

The speculation and theory:

Post iOS 7, and perhaps only on the iPhones post 5, Apple introduced a new technology that helps you maintain a good connection at all times. When you have both cellular and wifi on and connected, and one of these signals is not perfectly strong, the other connection will "help" into the connection, therefore maintaining a connection at all times even though one of your wifi or cellular signal fluctuates.

The problem here is, from what me and other people have speculated: If you have both cellular and wifi on, and one or even both connections are not strong enough or fluctuate a lot, then "out of kindness" your iPhone (post iOS 7) will activate and perhaps enhance BOTH signals in order to maintain a strong overall connection. The consequence is your battery drain much faster than before, because while in the past, with both signal connected, wifi would take stronger preference over cellular, effectively let the cellular part rest, now both wifi and cellular will work together and compensate for each other. Count in the basic signal enhancing function in case of weak coverage, and you'll have a potential 3X or 4X faster drainage with your battery.

In my case:

Before yesterday, and since the official iOS 7 release, my iPhone 5's battery would go down to 80% or something on each morning, and then it goes down by 1 or 2% each 3 minutes or so just messaging. After 3 hours or so it would be basically dry. I thought it was an aging battery problem, and on 1st of October I swapped for a new one due to LCD problem, so I thought that would fix that. To my disappointment the battery dies just as fast, if not faster.

So since yesterday afternoon, I've decided to turn off cellular when I'm home (mind you, my 3G coverage at home is always only 3/5), and turn off wifi when going out. Since then my battery works much better, just like the expected 10%/hour drainage. Yesterday before sleep I charged it to 100% and after waking up it's 96%, and now its status is (after messaging, youtubing, surfing, and constant music playing):

70%
    Usage: 3 hours, 45 minutes
    Standby: 10 hours, 19 minutes

TLDR;

Turn off WIFI if you're using 3G/LTE.
    Turn off 3G/LTE if you're using WIFI.
    Don't use BOTH unless you have excellent connection with BOTH!

2. DannyDrama macrumors regular

I keep my mobile data off at all times, barring the FEW occasions where I need a map or website. Everywhere I usually go has wifi, so no need for it. My battery has been awesome, it's never run out on me once.

It's stable enough that I can tell how productive I was at work by my battery level. More battery = more productiveness as I wasn't playing on my phone all day :)

3. Heresiarch thread starter macrumors member

Here's after one day of heavy use, including a long video chat session which is a battery killer.

Finally back to normal battery standard :)

Attached Files:

4. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

You almost have to have both on to optimize and utilize most of the apps. (maps, etc.)

5. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I wonder if being connected to both could be the culprit for the iMessage issues myself and many others are having. During the work day I seem to send iMessages fine and I'm cellular only. When at home, cellular data AND Wi-Fi are on and that's when I'm seeing the issues mostly. I've switched off cellular data this morning (wife and I took a vacation day) and my iMessages are flying over Wi-Fi with not a hint of hanging up....

Hmmm

6. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

Post iOS 7: Bad battery? Solution: don't use Cellular WITH Wifi

Hmmm definitely gotta turn my cellular data back on. Text the boss and my counterpart to say I wouldn't be in today at 5:55am. Didn't get a response until 2:30pm when I switched cellular data back on upon leaving the house. My boss responded at 6:51am.