Post JB inquiry

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by h1r0ll3r, Aug 10, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Hate to post such a n00b question but is there any "guide" on what to do with your IP4 once it's been JB'd?

I recently JB'd mine and am tinkering around with the apps/settings/themes etc but not sure if I'm heading in the right direction, so to speak. I read a lot of the forum posts here and they state to SSH this and SSH that and I'm not sure what that means exactly.

I've downloaded a couple apps/themes already and I've been told that OpenSSH can help me modify them or adjust them in greater detail than Winterboard can. So is there some forum post or website that one of you could point me to where I can get myself up to speed on this?

I JB'd using jailbreakme.com and have the basic Cydia app + Winterboard on my phone now. I've gotten Iconoclasm, MakeItMine, and some vWallpapers (real basic stuff) but I'm trying to go a bit beyond this stuff and really customize my IP4.

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked a million times already.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That is a very subjective question, seen likes everyone want to go a different direction once jailbroken, I would suggest checking out this post, It have ton of pages with many people recommending the "must Have apps" after jailbreaking. You'll find all sort of opinions there, I am sure you can find exactly what you want in your iphone.

For me, the must have are SBSettings, BiteSMS, Five icon Dock, 3G unrestrictor and iFile. Some Tethering app is always cool to have in case you ever need it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=982990

Good luck. Post a Screenshot of your phone once you get it the way you want it. :D

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

SSH is a file transfer protocol, which, with a third party UI program (e.g. cyberduck for mac...Winscp for windows) you can browse your iPhones directory system.
    OpenSSH is required and 'automatic SSH' is advisable.
    This gives you more control over editing and uploading files, most commonly themes...allowing you to swap around files, upload and download to and from your device very easily.
    Access also means you can export apps with saved games/data for easy reinstalls.
    Here is an iClarified tutorial for windowz, but same basic principles apply to a mac program.

4. h1r0ll3r thread starter macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Thanks. Probably should've been a little clearer on my initial direction for JB'ing. First off, I'd like to customize the look of my phone first. New vwallpapers, icons, and whatever little odds and ends I can do to my phone to make it stand out a little more. Then, I'd like to get into the root of the phone with some of the apps like tethering, 3G facetime, unlocking etc. Just wanted to start off with baby steps first then dive into the meat of the JB.