post lion install, time machine slow to back up

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
after installing Lion I plugged in my time machine hard drive and its been saying preparing backup for about half an hour now. is this happening to anyone else?

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
after installing Lion I plugged in my time machine hard drive and its been saying preparing backup for about half an hour now. is this happening to anyone else?
Maybe the system is re indexing after the install?

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
i think i figured it out. Incase anyone else has a problem like this, all i did was close all running apps and it started the backup immediately. Not sure if this was the problem or not, just glad its working

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I had the same issue. Took about 20 minutes to prepare the backup and the time machine backup itself went very slowly. I had a backup of about 7 GB. It was also indexing so maybe that was it.

jasonrhcp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
I had a similar issue. It was indexing for about 15 minutes. Now it's backing up 460gb and it is going to take 10 days:eek:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It's taking much longer to back up for me too. And it's not backing up hourly for some reason. I also noticed if you go to about this mac and go to storage that there a section called backups. I thought these were locally stored backups and that they would be deleted after time machine back ups but the amount stayed the same even after backing up

woodynet

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Brisbane
Hi Same Problem here

I started a new backup on Lion and its going to take a total of 11 days to complete, this is over ethernet through a 1000 gigabit HP switch total size 267 GB ? something is wrong !

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I had this issue. Subsequently, I deleted all of my Snow Leopard back-ups, plugged it in by Ethernet for a full lion back-up and it then finished in less than three hours.

Make sure the backup isn't interrupted at all; that's very important, as it will take a while to get back on track and appear as though it's going glacially slow.

CARROLL33

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Slow backup

Having same problem. Connected via ethernet which radically improved back up time. Just reverted back to wireless, and having same problem again :mad: