post lion install, time machine slow to back up

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nigelly, Jul 20, 2011.

1. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

after installing Lion I plugged in my time machine hard drive and its been saying preparing backup for about half an hour now. is this happening to anyone else?

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Maybe the system is re indexing after the install?

3. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

i think i figured it out. Incase anyone else has a problem like this, all i did was close all running apps and it started the backup immediately. Not sure if this was the problem or not, just glad its working

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I had the same issue. Took about 20 minutes to prepare the backup and the time machine backup itself went very slowly. I had a backup of about 7 GB. It was also indexing so maybe that was it.

5. givemeasillyone macrumors newbie

same issue

i am having the same issue, preparing to backup for hours now. any ideas? system is done indexing

6. jasonrhcp macrumors member

I had a similar issue. It was indexing for about 15 minutes. Now it's backing up 460gb and it is going to take 10 days:eek:

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's taking much longer to back up for me too. And it's not backing up hourly for some reason. I also noticed if you go to about this mac and go to storage that there a section called backups. I thought these were locally stored backups and that they would be deleted after time machine back ups but the amount stayed the same even after backing up

8. woodynet macrumors newbie

woodynet

Hi Same Problem here

I started a new backup on Lion and its going to take a total of 11 days to complete, this is over ethernet through a 1000 gigabit HP switch total size 267 GB ? something is wrong !

9. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

I had this issue. Subsequently, I deleted all of my Snow Leopard back-ups, plugged it in by Ethernet for a full lion back-up and it then finished in less than three hours.

Make sure the backup isn't interrupted at all; that's very important, as it will take a while to get back on track and appear as though it's going glacially slow.

10. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

11. CARROLL33 macrumors newbie

Slow backup

Having same problem. Connected via ethernet which radically improved back up time. Just reverted back to wireless, and having same problem again :mad:

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

My time machine drive is actually an internal drive in a bay. I don't even notice it.