Post Local From the woods to surgery and back again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have never seen a dog that has been spayed to go in heat, so I am not sure it's going to work with deer, if the does are NOT in heat it all for nothing.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Or you could have hunters that would pay for the the license to come and take care of the problem.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but they use guns & guns are evilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I grew up in Fairfax, and my family still lives there (outside of the beltway). Anyway, the deer there have become very used to being around people. The deer are compared hoofed rats to many in the Northern Virginia suburbs - the animals wander about in front of cars, munch on prized garden plants, etc. The problem is they can't really be hunted down because the density of people around, so spaying does make sense (sort of). Mind you, there have been sightings of coyotes in Fairfax, supposedly, so perhaps in a few years mother nature will take care of the deer population explosion....

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I lived just outside the Fort Belvoir nature preserve and the deer population in the 90's was way to huge compared to the size of the preserve. Soldiers got lyme disease in PT for years before the MP shooting to thin the heard. I thought it was cool because they gave the meat to the local veterans house!

They should do the same this time!

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

heard they hunted using dogs there, I was like WTF? dog? then I saw some videos of how dense some areas were and how much deer they had.
    https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer/
    then you have
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seriously, where my family lives (Dunn Loring), it is full blown suburbia. The deer reside in the 'forest' between the beltway and the houses that is used to keep the sound of the road down. At any point the trees are not more than 1/4th acre wide. If the deer aren't there, their literally roaming in people's yards. I would not want to unleash a bunch of hunters in that environment.

FWIW I live near an actual forest in Scotland and the deer are culled there because otherwise the forest is damaged (as well as neighbouring crop land). I, too, love venison and am not a big fan of Lyme disease (I got it recently but it was treated). Still the dear are beautiful to watch.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've long been amused at the fear of rifles in urban/suburban areas. From any kind of field rest, I and many others can easily hit the end of a soda can at 100 yards. Bambi is actually a rather large, very easy-to-hit target.

All any shooter needs to do is avoid having any person or their property in line with the shot.

It's super-easy to get deer to come to a feeder. Choose a safe fire lane and use a suppressed .22 for head shots. We're not talking real hunting with this. It's about reducing health hazards for both deer populations and people as well as ending over-use of a habitat.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Or skip guns all together and go to bow. Want to make it real sporty go to spear.:eek:

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Lyme Disease is no joke! Hope you know it can flare up sometimes (my best friend in the Army got it) and he says it flares up once in while!

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Tried, Atlatl is illegal in CA [​IMG]

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

LOL California. You need to hop the border and join the US already.