POST-MACWORLD: Macbook price drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrHokis, Jan 15, 2008.

1. DrHokis macrumors newbie

So i waited all this time for this macworld because i expected this new ultrathin notebook (after reading all the rumors) and thought the macbook would drop in price at the same time "air" was released.

after going to apple.com I see the price is still the same

do any of you suspect a discount is coming soon?

if not i'm just going to place my order already and say goodbye to pc's forever!

i'd love to hear your expectations!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Not going to happen. Not now, not ever. An aluminum Macbook was never going to be a Macbook, regardless of what the rumors (greed-peddlers) said. Buy your MB now or later; it's going to start at $1100 new. I'd recommend getting it refurbished. :D

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I think the Educational prices dropped. The basic MacBook is $999. I thought is was $1049 not too long ago...

4. DrHokis thread starter macrumors newbie

but the only macbook they have in the refurbished line is the 2.16ghz
    plus it's REFURBISHED!

5. DrHokis thread starter macrumors newbie

no it's always been 999...trust me i've been checking incessantly!

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The refurbs are identical to the new models in every way but the box they come in. They even have the "new" Mac smell. Plus, you're far less likely to get a lemon (bad battery, dirty palmrests, flickering screen, washed out screen, overheated machine, etc) from a refurb than you are from a new one, because a refurb will have been checked by human beings prior to boxing :^)

Anyway, I'd get a refurb 2.16 or a new 2.2 now. They're not going to drop in price, I'll guarantee you that.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Dude...the prices are perfect if anything!! Yes, a drop would be nice...but that wont happen. If anything the MB looks amazing next to the MBA

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

REFURBISHED is not that much of a problem

There pretty much arent any cons and its like getting a new computer for a cheaper price!

And some lucky people end up getting added upgrades that they didnt pay for! (E.g. 2GB of ram not 1 etc.)

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Refurbs last time I checked are pretty cheap and are great. Many people are happy with them. I might buy a refurb MBP

10. DrHokis thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i'm taking your word for it and placing my order today
    but i'll tell you something...all that talk about the white MB's discoloration is making me fork over the extra $$$ for black...am i nuts?

11. DrHokis thread starter macrumors newbie

point taken thanks!

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Last time I checked the discoloring has been fixed. If you want the black, get the black! It is sick, my sister has one. Somebody with a white 2.2GHz needs to confirm the issue

13. aa521490 macrumors regular

As soon as the keynote was done and as soon as I could get on the apple store, I checked for refurbished macs. There were a couple ranging from $749 to $1249. NOw, all are gone except one..:eek:.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I checked right when the store went back up and they had a bunch of earlier MB's both white and black for $799-$899, but they dissappeared right away...