Post Office...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrM, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MrM macrumors 6502

So heres the long story short- A package got mislabeled and was sent to the incorrect person, I contacted the person, had him refuse the package, and it was supposedly brought back to his post office in MO at the beginning of last week. I have yet to receive it, and was just wondering if I should be waiting for it to show up at my door step, or if I have to go into the post office to get the package.

I've been searching the USPS website about "refused package" and all I've found is rubbish. Does anyone have any experience with this situation? I'm going to head over to the post office tomorrow after my last final, but I'm just curious as what I might expect to hear.

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I would think it would depend on what the sender chose. When I send packages, I have to fill out a form where one of the statements is something like "If undeliverable, __ return to sender; __ abandon; ___forward to___. If the sender chose for the package to be returned, I would think it's on its way back now.

3. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I mail things at least once a month and I've never had to fill one of those out. Hopefully they will do what is right (IMO) and send it back... Because there's some poor guy in FL waiting for his $80 item to be sent to him. Anyone else with an idea?

4. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

If the person would not sign for the package, it should make its way back to you. You can check with your local post office, but if there was no sort of delivery confirmation associated with the package, you may get no information. If it was sent Express or Certified, there are systems in place to track the package. How was it sent?

5. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

I had Delivery Confirmation on the item. The item was dropped off at his office, he then drove it back to the post office down the street and said he was refusing the item. I checked the D.C. number earlier tonight and all It says is that it was delivered to him. Im not sure if it would say something along the lines of "refused" or not.

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Hmmm...maybe it depends on the type of shipping chosen. I've had to do it when mailing from Wisconsin in the US, and from here in Norway. But maybe I just always choose the same kind of shipping, dunno.

But if the package was marked incorrectly and was sent not only to the wrong person, but to the wrong address (not sure about this, the OP didn't specify), how would the PO know to whom the package should be delivered now? :confused: I can see how it might get returned to sender though.

7. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

I had two packages to ship, but only one of them had the payment cleared. It was 6 AM and I printed the right shipping label, but stuck it on the wrong package. I didn't realize my mistake until later that night. It's almost comical.

8. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Since you have a delivery confirmation number you should check with the clerks at your local post office. They will be able to give you the most up to date info on your package. The website updates are not exactly perfect.

Now if the recipient only claimed to return the package, you may be out of luck.

9. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm worried about. It only took 3 days to get it to him, and I'm going on day 5 waiting to get it back.

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I get it, so you are not the recipient, this is a package you sent out. I thought you were waiting for a package sent to you by someone else, but you're just waiting for it to be returned to the sender (= you).

11. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, sorry for the confusion. But yes, original sender/idiot at 6AM=me. :p

12. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Actually the status says 'Refused by recipient' when someone returns a package. I shipped a package to a customer.. he received it, and wanted to return it after 3 days. He went to the PO and returned the same box it was shipped in.. the PO returned it to me without charging him and the tracking status showed something like:

Nov 1 - Delivered to so-and-so
    Nov 3 - Refused by recipient
    Nov 4 - Processed at center

etc .

Maybe the PO didn't scan the item.. but it has to get scanned somewhere along the line. If nothing shows up in the next 2 days, ask him again - nothing shows up till next monday.. then tell him you'll file a complaint with the USPS postal inspection service for fraud (basically, he IS stealing something if the package was mistakenly delivered due to USPS)

Edit - Sorry, didn't read that *you* printed out an incorrect label.

13. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

^ Haha it's alright, thanks for the replies everyone. The package showed up today so I'm happy.

But just a heads up to anyone that wants to know, (if all you have is delivery confirmation on a package), here is what Ronda via the USPS e-mail customer service says:

"Once an item is scanned as delivered (even if it was returned) there will be no more scans made for the item."

So this is why my delivery confirmation number had no updates. IMO it could have been returned a day or 2 sooner, but I'm not complaining at the moment.

Again, thanks to everyone!