Post Paid AT&T Discount (no contract)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Holoshed, May 21, 2012.

1. Holoshed, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

Holoshed macrumors regular

I have to post something here that will hopefully help others who want to move to Post Paid on AT&T to get a FAN discount without the contract.

I was reading a post and saw someone mention you had to sign a two year agreement with AT&T to get a FAN discount, and for some that may be true.

I do however know for sure that there is at least one FAN that does not require an agreement for it and if there is one I am sure there are more.

I signed up for an account just for the iPad, as I have my cell phone service with Sprint. Since the iPad is the main line, it does get the discount and I have posted images to show that. You will also notice there is no contract under that line but it IS discounted.

I hoped this helps someone who had thought of going Post Paid with AT&T to get the iPad 5gig plan for cheaper but did not want to sign a contract. If someone tells you that you have to, be sure to check into it more as they may give you wrong information.

Attached Files:

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

Can you be more clear about the exact plan you chose and how you added the plan.

Its appears to be you have to call to add.

I have waited as I wanted to see what the shared plans might bring...if I could not contract plan then I would switch now.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

For others...

If you're on a FAN account or perhaps even a corporate account you should log into your account, shop and start the process of adding a new line.

Look at rate plans and select the "Data only" tab.

See if you have this plan:

DataConnect 5GB on LTE iPad with WIFI + 4G and then see if there is any mention of 2 years contract in the title or details.

If not, the you can add that plan to your account and associate it with an existing iPad.

I just did this and I will get the 5GB for $37.50 (only 5GB plans for ipad are discounted). They are sending me a new SIM for free as the one I already had was used on "Prepaid" once. They waived the shipping.

When the shared plans finally make an appearance later this year I will re-evaluate and decide what to keep vs. jettison.

4. Holoshed thread starter macrumors regular

Hey there, I am sorry, I didnt see this until now since you didnt quote me it didnt notify me.

I did call to add mine, I had NEVER used the pre-paid on my iPad so my sim was unused. I called and said I want to add the 5gig iPad plan to my already setup account.

I knew the FAN discount I wanted so I setup the account first with a free phone, set it up with the cheapest plan. Once I got the shipping order, the account had been set up.

I did not have the initial phone yet but I knew the account # to give when I called. The rep took my iPad IMEI, confirmed the plan was NO CONTRACT, confirmed it would discount with my FAN and the iPad worked within minutes.

The discount on the iPad line took two months to show as discounted, but it did kick in after two billing cycles like they said.

Your instructions on how to do it online are awesome and I thank you for posting it.

I do posts like this to help others who may see wrong information and believe it to be true. I put the info to the test and find out how it works out. I used to run a pretty large cell phone forum and did stuff like this fairly often because I had contacts in the cell phone industry who gave me the correct info and not the "hearsay."

5. Queenstarks macrumors newbie

Add Line w/o New Contract w/ Fan Account

I just added a new phone line with the expectation of not being under a contract since I was using my own phone. Once my order was processed, the customer service summary indicated the term was for 24 month. This was done at an authorized dealer and they were surprised also. Long story short, AT&T said that since I receive the corporate discount then the new line must be under a 2 year contract. I thought this was ridiculous since the discount only applies to the primary line. It's not as if all lines are receiving the discount. To top it off, I have to return to the store just to cancel the contract. What if I wasn't located close by, then what? The rep stated that the dealer would have to confirm I was using my own equipment as if they can't tell in the system. So to anyone who wants to add a line w/o contract, it's ok as long as you're not receiving corporate discount.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

I dont think you're understanding what we have.

We are under FAN accounts which are corporate accounts. In addition, you are starting a new phone service and we are not talking about that here. Only adding ipad data to an already owned ipad.

If you have a FAN or corporate account call business services and deal with them. Dont go into a store.

Business services can also remove the contract term if it was erroneously added.