Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonestle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Darwin
I took this on my honeymoon in Port Douglas, QLD, Australia a few days ago. I honestly think this is the best panorama app/feature I've ever used.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I took this on my honeymoon in Port Douglas, QLD, Australia a few days ago. I honestly think this is the best panorama app/feature I've ever used.

Spectacular pic, I'm psyched to get my iPhone 5 because it will arrive a week before a big concert (Stone Sour, Marilyn Manson, and Rob Zombie, among others), and a month or so before a Monday Night Football game. Taking panorama shots of concert and sports venues could produce some incredible shots that will be fun to share. Just a couple of quick questions about how the mechanics of taking the panoramic shots though:

Do you select panorama mode, hit the shutter button, and slowly pan across the area you want to take the pic of?

How does it do with scenery where objects in the picture are in motion? I assume that it tries to take one long exposure and could get a bit blurry if stuff is moving around a lot?

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Spectacular pic, I'm psyched to get my iPhone 5 because it will arrive a week before a big concert (Stone Sour, Marilyn Manson, and Rob Zombie, among others), and a month or so before a Monday Night Football game. Taking panorama shots of concert and sports venues could produce some incredible shots that will be fun to share. Just a couple of quick questions about how the mechanics of taking the panoramic shots though:

Do you select panorama mode, hit the shutter button, and slowly pan across the area you want to take the pic of?

How does it do with scenery where objects in the picture are in motion? I assume that it tries to take one long exposure and could get a bit blurry if stuff is moving around a lot?

You are right, you may endup with blurry images. If the composition changes too much and can't be stiched, iPhone will stop taking picture.

Also, before you spend money on iPhone 5, remember that Panorama will also be available on iPhone 4S.

Bonestle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Darwin
I haven't tried much with moving objects but I imagine the results wouldn't be great. I'm sure someone will figure out some interesting ways to achieve this though.

It very simple to use: click Options > Panorama.
When you then click the shutter button you are guided through the motion of panning around. The app will tell you if you are too fast. There is a blue line you can follow to keep straight - I kept the horizon steady on this line.
Moving up and down will effect the image but I've found you don't have to be perfect.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I use auto stitch (stand alone app) and thought it blended fairly well but now I see the example and I'm very impressed. It is more fluid, very nice.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Took this a park in Reigate in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 482

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Yeah. I've never really been bothered about Panoramic photos as it seemed a bit of a hassle but the way the iPhone does it is really great.

Look forward to taking more :)

ya i agree! and it's so fun! (and sooooo easy)
i ended up taking more panoramic photos than photos while holidaying last weekend cause it was fun playing with it (while it lasts). lol

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
When taking it, do you tell the camera app when to stop, or does it stop automatically? If the latter, how does the speed at which you move affect the picture? There seem to be some different aspect ratios coming out in these shots.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
When taking it, do you tell the camera app when to stop, or does it stop automatically? If the latter, how does the speed at which you move affect the picture? There seem to be some different aspect ratios coming out in these shots.

You tell it when to stop. It's sort-of like taking a video: record then stop.

I think the aspect ratio depends on how wide of a panorama you go with. The first one I took was very wide. The second, not so much.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You tell it when to stop. It's sort-of like taking a video: record then stop.

I think the aspect ratio depends on how wide of a panorama you go with. The first one I took was very wide. The second, not so much.

Yeah, the A/R would be determined by how far you go. Is there a max? Could you, for example, go a complete 360° and still have it complete the picture? Also, has anyone tried creating a panorama by, instead of turning on the spot, moving just horizontally (like if you tried holding the iphone steady from a moving car)? I'm wondering if it's setup for just the former, so might have issues with the latter.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Took this a park in Reigate in the UK.

Two kids in this pic show me that this could work pretty well even if the subject is moving around in the pic. The kid on the tire swing on the far left and the kid on the regular swing on the far right are both moving at a fairly quick rate of speed just based on what they are doing in the pic, yet they don't appear blurry. This should be a fun camera mode to play with. As for the poster telling me that I don't need to buy the 5 to get this feature? Two problems, 1, I already did, and 2, I only have a 4, so wouldn't get this option anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.