Post photos of your computer audiophile Hi-Fi system

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by ironsienna, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ironsienna, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

ironsienna macrumors regular

ironsienna

Hello all!

In this thread you can post photos of your audiophile computer Hi-Fi system. Just post as many photos as you like and give us a brief description of your components. Also, feel free to comment!

Lets start with mine:

MacMini -> WEISS MEDEA -> Kimber Select 1036 interconnects -> Supratek Sauvignon Preamp ->
    Supratek Malbec monos with Tesla EL34 tubes -> Tidal Piano speakers with red bubinga wood and custom black chromed drivers
    Tidal proprietary cable to connect the speakers with the amps (the same used internally in the speakers)

I use my iPad with the iTunes remote app to control the playback. Every single computer component is hidden in the cupboard on the right side of the room. The DAC is hidden behind the black sound absorption panel in the middle of the setup.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

I would love to invest into something like this one day, I got two questions.

What audio formats do you use?
    Is there a difference between Apple Lossless and FLAC?

3. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

this look kinda of fun... but after fiddle around Apple Lossless and stream via Apple TV, the overall quality is just tag disappointing... what;s a better way to do this in digital world these days?

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

apple lossless and FLAC are different but equal. they are both lossless but FLAc is supported by more devices than apple lossless. however, conversion is simple and maintains quality unlike lossy compression(mp3,aac etc)
    i would invest in a mac mini and hook a minitoslink to toslink cable on it. this provides the best way to get lossless audio across to your system. this assumes your receiver / audio processor has the ability to accept digital(SPDIF) signals. if not, you can hook a simple 1/8" to rca cable to your setup to pump tunes to your speakers. if you want additional quality, get an external usb dac to offload audio processing for better hardware in the usb dac. i reccomend something form the likes of Nuforce and peachtree.

5. St0rMl0rD macrumors 6502

How high is the investment into some good preamp and speakers? What kind of music do you listen to on your system?

-J

6. bountchac, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

bountchac macrumors newbie

Hello ironsienna,

it seems we have something in common !

Very nice system, I am intrigued by your Suprateks (the Amps especially), how do you described them ?

I've been a solid state kind of guy (Krell 400xi (bad...), then Plinius (much better) and now Hovland) and I can say I like the current association with the pianos.

98% of the time, I listen to my Aiff Imac library through the PWD dac and it's very close to the CD performance (Oppo 95).

Cheers and happy listening,

Fabien

Attached Files:

7. El Grego macrumors newbie

hallo ironsienna

nice system mate
    please could you pm me ,as I could not find such an option here
    and really wanted to get in touch with you re: suprateks .
    I am after Cabernet Dual too.

regs
    el grego