Post pictures/stories of your DAMAGED iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyripkin, Mar 7, 2008.

1. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I thought it would be fun to post pictures along with stories of your damaged iPhones.

I will start. Below you will find my wife's iPhone scratched less than a week after it came out. We were never able to determine what caused the scratch but thankfully the Apple store let me return the phone for a restocking fee and get a new one. Very nice of them. It may have been because I was the first person who ever came in with this problem.

Then you will find my wife's second iPhone which was painted by Colorware now chipped after being dropped on the granite countertop. I guess bad luck and iPhone's follow her around.:eek:

Attached Files:

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

that is a bad scratch! i assume there was no case on it?

that stinks about the colorware phone-- there have been some discussion on how well the paint would last

3. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

The scratch issue happened with me aswell. I have a incase case and it still happened, also the battery life dropped to real bad!!!

4. ExitRightHere macrumors newbie

ExitRightHere

Iphone Protection

4 words:

Screen Protector

Iphone Case

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

A friend of mine dropped her iPhone and half the screen is completely shattered... but she can't afford to fix it!! It still works fine... if you look past what looks like a bullet hole... :D

Mine is in pretty good condition except for some scratches on the mirrored Apple logo on the back.... they drive me crazy, but hey, almost everyone has that problem.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I used my iPhone for two days before getting my Invisible Shield and regret it. It's in perfect shape except for two minor scratches on that Apple logo.
    What Apple was thinking when they decided on mirrors and chrome I'll never know... :confused:

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I don't have a picture (nor do I think you'd want one), but I dropped my iPhone into a toilet bowl full of my urine. You think that one could never reach into something like this, but when a piece of electronics valued @ $399 is at stake, boy...things change!

Genius bar gave me a new one though!

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My side is still hurting from your story...

I'm glad you got it replaced. :D

9. notoaststereo macrumors newbie

i have a very slight scratch on my screen. its a bit long bitt very thin so you can only see it with a glare.

i bought an anitglare screen protector and the scratch is invisible. i just need to get used to the reduced quality of the screen/the almost rainbow like effect.

10. toddngina macrumors member

Wow, I'm really surprised about the scratch. She must have accidently swiped it with her diamond ring - that must be quite a rock! I've had mine since the first week of July and I don't baby it - just toss it in my pocket with no protection every day. And that pocket happens to be in a military uniform currently located in Baghdad, so it's a combat iPhone. But - the screen still looks flawless! It can sure take a lot of abuse with only minor cosmetic issues (a couple of nicks on the back, of course the scratchy looking bezel). All easily remedied by upgrading to the GPS-enabled 3G when it comes out. ;)

11. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

i dropped mine while getting out my car, it went WOOSH in the air and it was like in slow motion! i was totally panicin that it would land on the screen

but no

on its back and all he has is a TEEEEEEEEENY wee dent on the back

and you dont need a fancy case, i keep mine in an iPod sock and the screen is perfect

:)

12. billyripkin thread starter macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I thought about using a iPod sock but was told it would not fit. How does yours fit?

13. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

like a glove

but its a sock

haha

fits perfectly

14. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

4 words:

Don't drop your iPhone.

15. sdd4 macrumors member

I've dropped mine twice. Well, the first one wasnt really me dropping it so much as someone kicking it out of my hand. My friend was Irish dancing, and accidentally kicked my hand, sending it about five feet into the air and it hit asphalt. Just a few teeny scratches on the back though, so I didnt feel like I could get pissed at him.
    The second drop came just a few weeks ago. I accidentally put my phone in my coat pocket instead of my jean's pocket, and without thinking started to run. It slipped out and hit asphalt again, and this time it dented the chrome on the corner right next to the silent switch. It's small, and besides the fact that it looks kind of bad, I actually consider it a blessing. I was always too annoyed with how easily that switch toggled, and I was always accidentally taking it off silent in my pocket. Now that it's kind of dented, there's just a tad more resistance, and I actually like it better.

So yeah. Dropped a few times, never really angered me.

16. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I've also dropped mine twice so far. I've had it for about 3 months. The first drop was after owning it for about 5 days. I was taking it out to show my brother and dropped it on a cement floor. Put a little mark on the chrome bezel on the bottom. The second drop happened about three weeks ago. I was using it outside and dropped it on the sidewalk, this time putting little knick/dent/things on the back close to the camera. It REALLY sucks when this happens...

BUT...Some good news for fellow droppers, or those of you have not yet experienced the pain of your first drop...You get used to it being knicked up and pretty soon it doesn't bother you anymore. If it gets much worse though, I might get it "Colorwared"...I'm thinking a jet black iPhone could look pretty nice.

Attached Files:

17. wrboyce macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

18. casjohnr macrumors regular

There are a few raindrop type nicks on the back of mine, think I must have put something in my pocket one day.

Also a light scratch but that is to be expected when it landed on laminate flooring.

19. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

The back of my iPhone is scratched a smidge. Nothing I can really do to stop it. I keep the phone in a pocket of its own, no keys or loose coins or anything so I think scratches are inevitable. Screen is fine though :) Very tough screen.

20. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I dropped my iphone as i got out my car and cracked the glass a bit at the lost left of the phone :( also dented the case!

Not kool...

21. r4m3n macrumors newbie

That's what happened to my first iPhone when I got out of the car to head to theo ffice. Was so bummed :(

I was lucky enough to get a free replacement from the Apple Store, thank goodness. Happened a couple months ago... Needless to say, i immediately bought a case to give it more grip.

22. smacman macrumors 6502

I accidently dropped my phone into a blender. Do you think the genius bar will give me a replacement? :)

Attached Files:

23. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I think they might, it's worth a shot. Although I think you should try resetting it or restoring it first. With my experience sometimes the software components get all mixed up and become unusable. Restoring it may be the answer in this case.;):D

24. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

how could a blender do that?
    It was a BLENDTEC blender!!!!!!
    Hahhahaha, I love that

I have a few nicks, but all is good, but VERY parinoid about dropping because I dropped my iPod touch screen first on to concrete, and BUGGERED it somthing good, big shatter, not good. I don't want that to happen to my iPhone because I live is Australia!!! ( that is a good place to live except for lackof iPhone support)
    I have tried:
    hard cases
    leather cases ( from plastic cows!)
    and now I am on to iPod socks ($4 from dealextreme.com (home of the optical zoom for iPhone - which I have))
    socks are great fit 90% of iPhone in AND polish the screen when you take it out.
    Vote 1 iPod socks for protection.

This was iPhoned!!

25. calvy macrumors 65816

If you hit up the right genius, my guess is sure. How some people can get a free phone replacement after dropping it in a toilet while taking a leak (tip, keep your hands on your biological equipment while in the toilet) is beyond me. I go in with legit problems and get the 3rd degree.

BTW, yes, I'm fully aware this was blended for the will it blend web tv show thingy. I have the internet too, you know.