Post reply - Someone posts while I do it

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dmmcintyre3, Jul 30, 2009.

1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

On PHPBB3 there is a notification if someone posts a reply to a thread while you are doing it. I would like to know if there is a way for this to be added to MR.

Here is an exmple:

Attached Files:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Okay, how many users do you think here would actually pay attention to that.

3. celticpride678

Um, this is Mac Rumors. Talk to vBulletin if you want that to happen. Mac Rumors cannot control that.

4. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

But could there be a mod for vBulletin that MR could install or make?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

adding modifications hinders updates as then they have to be tested with VB and checked to make sure they still work, an even more time consuming process. while this feature might be nice, i don't know quite how useful it would be. the threads from the main page stories would almost certainly always have an issue with this popping up every time since they get more posts and traffic.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How would this really be useful for the average user?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Just keep doing it! I wouldn't let someone stop me who isn't even in the same room!

Seriously, what can you then do about it? Can you go read the new post and come back to the one you're composing to finish it?

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The edit button is there for a reason. Most users struggle reading the prior posts before replying or searching prior threads...

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The reason given why MR can't have all these mods installed is that it hinders updates, which I totally understand. I am curious, however, how many mods MR does have installed.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You see any new posts when you Preview your own post. That's another good reason to use the Preview Post feature before you click Submit Reply.

Sometimes I'm answering a question and when I preview I see that somebody else has answered the same question. So I know not to post the same information and to either skip my post or add additional information.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That was my point. But, Dr. Q has filled in the blank for me...

That would involve changing an ingrained habit. Could be tough!