Post RTF or TXT files on my desktop.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lr4life, Nov 23, 2008.

1. lr4life macrumors newbie

Anyone know of a program that I can use to post RTF or TXT files right onto my desktop?

I really don't the look of stickies and I am in the need of something a bit more elegant for my reminder notes.

I know there is Samurize for Windows, but does anybody know of a program like it for OS X?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There used to be a program like this called GeekTool... but I don't think that there's a version of it that works on Leopard.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Do you mean to save them to the desktop, or open on the desktop?

A follow up on the Geektool info

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm pretty sure the OP means embedded and maybe editable in the desktop wallpaper. Which would be a very nice thing to be able to do like so:

[​IMG]

Since you can use PDFs as desktop pictures, I was wondering if there would something you could set up in Automator/AppleScript to print a standard RTF file or a Word processing file with a picture in it, print to PDF and automatically replace the desktop PDF. Sounds clumsy but may work if set up to be foolproof...

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the Linux world, there's a tool like this called Conky that's actually quite popular.

Yes, something like this may be an option.... you can probably set it up so that a standing text file is (or files are) probed at login and converted into a PDF, and then placed on the desktop, so that it updates every time you login. You could probably also use launchd to run it more frequently if you wish. In fact, if someone sets that up, they ought to package the automator actions and stuff and make a guide out of it. :p

The other option that might possibly work is, if there's a screensaver that presents the info in a way you want, then you can use a tool that converts screensavers into desktop backgrounds.

6. lr4life thread starter macrumors newbie

I do mean embed, not just post.
    Sorry for the confusion.

I am running Leopard and Geektool does not yet support Leopard.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anybody else have any other suggestions?