Post spill damage limitation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scuby99, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Scuby99, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

Scuby99 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro.

Free to me. Installing Snow Leopard now.

After spill of what I was told was water but after opneing it up looks like coffee, it still does everything fine.

It was spilled on and not used for 1.5 years. Some of the keys are none responsive.

Trackpad works, everything else runs like a charm.

Now I know corrosion is the enemy. So the obvious question is: surely I can get in there, clean the whole thing out and AVOID corrosion.

I'm confident I have the skill to do so. Question is am I in my excitement overlooking something silly?

Question number 2:

Since the keyboard has faults on certain keys and no backlight, is there any chance that the connections can be fixed or is the assumption they are burned and will never work.

when I take it apart to clean it I might as well replace just the keyboard then with a refurbed unit.

Any other tips and tricks? It was given to me running and wiped. So installing Snow Leopard now and wan't to get whatever 1.5 year old crud might be in there out and replace keyboard

Look forward to helpful advice if there is any, not 'you're screwed' posts. I like to think in solutions.

cheers

PS: Everything works, battery charges, screen is fine, disc drive fine, via USB the keyboard functions, the only fault is the built in keyboard.

2. Mikeyswen79 macrumors member

Mikeyswen79

My experience with liquid damage has actually had to do with the logic board, the computer would just occasionally do strange things like put itself to sleep, shut down and open back up in safety mode, things like that. Unless you're seeing erratic behavior like that, I don't think you'll have any problem beyond the keyboard. My suspicion is that you might even be able to get the non-working keys to work again if you can get underneath them to clean up.

Worst case scenario, all MacBooks sell for a pretty great price, even with liquid damage. Case and point: I sold a $1200 2nd Gen MBA for $500.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!