Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freedomflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hi everyone ---
A little history, first:

I purchased my iPhone last October. Great! I used my iPhone through May but then found a part of my screen to be defective and my ringer switch to be broken. I scheduled an appointment with the genius bar, with a whole slew of excuses ready to go. But, no questions asked, they just took out a new iPhone and handed it to me. Hello awesomeness. Now I find myself with the top of my screen not responding to any user input, at least, the top 10mm or so (can you say "back" button any more?).

This has gotten extremely annoying, and I've got to get this fixed. But my warrantee is up. Do you all think that the geinus would not replace the iPhone? It seemed so easy/no questions asked last time I don't even think he checked to see how long i'd had it. Anyway, I just dont want to waste too much time going up to Salt Lake 45 miles away for nothing.

Thanks!

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The warranty is up, they can tell when they plug it in to their computer. Don't waste your time making the trip.

I'd respectfully disagree. If they replaced a defective phone under warranty with another defective phone they should replace it. Furthermore I would expect the warranty would restart from the day the new phone was provided.

OP: Only way to find out is to explain the situation and ask them.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I'm pretty sure the warranty only runs from the ORIGINAL purchase date, but to be honest, it really doesn't hurt to just give them a call and see what they reckon, just cooly explain that it was a replacement you recieved in May, and rather make an appointment and 45minute journey and waste not only yours, but their time, you'd just call and see what they'd say...

mattocs

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
Every ATT phone i've had has had to go back because of something. Sometimes it is when I get it, sometimes its when its almost out of warranty. Every time I have done this, they make it clear that the warranty of one year from the original purchase date. This was from ATT. Maybe Apple is different. Good luck.

marcre

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
The warranty is from the purchase date.

The replacement is like 90 days(maybe less) extra if it comes off original warranty after the replacement. So, for example if your warranty runs out in a week and you get a part fixed or a replacement, that replacement is given an extension.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If they replaced a defective phone under warranty with another defective phone they should replace it. Furthermore I would expect the warranty would restart from the day the new phone was provided.
FWIW, marcre is correct. The original warranty (which starts from the date of purchase), or 90 days from when you receive the replacement -- whichever of those is longer -- is what Apple goes by.

The warranty is from the purchase date.

The replacement is like 90 days(maybe less) extra if it comes off original warranty after the replacement. So, for example if your warranty runs out in a week and you get a part fixed or a replacement, that replacement is given an extension.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Hi everyone ---
A little history, first:

I purchased my iPhone last October. Great! I used my iPhone through May but then found a part of my screen to be defective and my ringer switch to be broken. I scheduled an appointment with the genius bar, with a whole slew of excuses ready to go. But, no questions asked, they just took out a new iPhone and handed it to me. Hello awesomeness. Now I find myself with the top of my screen not responding to any user input, at least, the top 10mm or so (can you say "back" button any more?).

This has gotten extremely annoying, and I've got to get this fixed. But my warrantee is up. Do you all think that the geinus would not replace the iPhone? It seemed so easy/no questions asked last time I don't even think he checked to see how long i'd had it. Anyway, I just dont want to waste too much time going up to Salt Lake 45 miles away for nothing.

Thanks!

Why didn't you take it back before the year was up?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
replacement iphones have a 90 day warranty via apple...says so on the paper i received from the genius? himself
Paper says that, but if your one-year warranty is longer, then your replacement is covered by the one-year warranty of the original device.

Freedomflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah, I understand that my warrantee is (maybe?) over, and that I shouldn't necessarily "expect" or "get mad at apple" for not replacing my iPhone. However, their previous leniency sort of whets my palate for a new iPhone, it seems like they'd just kind of look over it and give me one.
I think my social skills/convincing-ness is pretty good in general, too, and I'm quite sure that Apple (and by Apple I mean the "geniuses") have made exceptions to the rule many a time, its simply a matter of me MAKING myself an exception, am I right?
Any more insight? This is a good discussion --- because real money is on the line...replacing screens costs $$$.

Until later...

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I understand that my warrantee is (maybe?) over, and that I shouldn't necessarily "expect" or "get mad at apple" for not replacing my iPhone. However, their previous leniency sort of whets my palate for a new iPhone, it seems like they'd just kind of look over it and give me one.
I think my social skills/convincing-ness is pretty good in general, too, and I'm quite sure that Apple (and by Apple I mean the "geniuses") have made exceptions to the rule many a time, its simply a matter of me MAKING myself an exception, am I right?
Any more insight? This is a good discussion --- because real money is on the line...replacing screens costs $$$.

Until later...

They were lenient before because you were under warranty. Plain and simple. You aren't now, so they won't just switch it out. However, you should have the option of replacing it for a price (I think its like $199 or $299 depending on the size).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.