Post-water damage rMBP help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thevinrod, Apr 26, 2013.

1. thevinrod macrumors newbie

Just spilled a cup of water in the middle of my keyboard on a Mid-2012 15" rMBP. Immediately shut it down and wiped all of the water off that I could. While wiping the keys, I must've hit the power button, because I heard it chime on, but the screen didn't actually turn on. Used compressed air to get more water out from beneath the keys. I wanted to make sure it wasn't on but just not showing any picture, so I held the power key down to shut it off and it is not responding to the power button at all. I have it tented upside down like a teepee right now. Something smells like burnt popcorn but that could also be the wall plug/magsafe since I didn't immediately unplug that after the spill (and the water contacted the magsafe).

What should I do next?
    1. Wait for a few days for it to dry completely
    2. Take it into Apple Store tomorrow afternoon and admit my mistake
    3. Use a vacuum to try to suck out any remaining water

I have such a sick feeling to my stomach.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think Apple are your best bet...The smell could be the PSU shorted out. Take it in and admit your accident....Check your household insurance to see if you have accidental damage coverage on your policy.

3. shootist macrumors regular

Actually, sorry to say this, but your system is more than likely dead beyond all repairs and even if it could be repaired the cost to do so would be close to or above what a new unit would cost. These Retina MBPs are basically throw away computers. Once something go wrong with them, out of warranty, the cost of repairs is excessive. Since no Apple warranty covers accidental damage and any water spill voids all warranties the cost to repair that system would be totally up to you.

So you might as well just go out and buy a new computer.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Check with Apple, even in the worst case scenario you could get some money from selling the screen (if it is Samsung would be more valuable) and maybe your SSD if it was not damaged.

5. thevinrod thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Took it into the Apple Store this afternoon. Had been 15 hours since I shut it off and started drying it out. I prepared for the worst case scenario.

I was forthcoming and told the employee that I spilled water on the keyboard, and she empathized, as she had done the same thing in college. She pushed the power button and to my surprise, it booted up, no problem. She ran a diagnostic and everything seemed fine. After about 10 minutes, the screen went off.

She took it in the back and opened it up. She said that there was some indication on the water sensor strips that it had gotten wet, but it didn't seem too extensive, and she didn't see any wetness on the inside.

She brought it back out and booted it up, and it came on just fine again. At that point, I powered it down and told her that I would leave it off and let it dry out for a couple more days, just to make certain I don't short anything out. She said that there may be a short in the cable connecting the main board to the screen, which results in the screen turning off. That would be a small repair. She said there is still potential for corrosion at some point, which I understood from reading others' thoughts on message boards.

She said worst case scenario, if they had to do a major repair (logic board, etc) it would cost $1260 for rMBP. She inquired as to my homeowner's/renter's insurance, and I told her I read my policy and it looked like I was covered with a $500 deductable. She said from her experience, most policies have similar coverage with a similar deductable.

She then plugged in my magsafe adapter, and it didn't light up when attached to the computer. She gave me a brand new magsafe ($69 value) for FREE. Said she appreciated me being honest that the problem was due to my negligence, rather than saying "I don't know why my computer won't turn on."

If I remember, I will update the post in a couple of days when I power it back up. Fingers crossed. First things first, I'm buying an external drive to back up any components when I boot it up. Also buying a keyboard protector.

-tV-

6. streetprince macrumors newbie

Man that sucks. This is why I put my drinks on the floor. Better spilt there where its cheap to clean up. Good luck.

7. anarti macrumors regular

That reallt sucks, just a bad luck. That's why I have my rMBP elevated on twelvesouth hi-rise, with external keyboard and I never eat, drink or even move anything liquid over the laptop. End of the story.

Wishing you good luck!

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Glad things seem to work out, my advice is to get a laptop stand so if it spillage does occur your laptop will be safe.

9. sc25893 macrumors member

I can't believe how many people spill things on a computer that's potentially worth a few thousand quid?! I look after my stuff like my life depends on it, lol.

In all seriousness though, good luck!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Accidents happen. for those of use who use the laptops 8+ hours a day, you can't help but have a drink by your side (at least I can't). I drink coffee all day.

That's why I want to minimize my risks by having the laptop on a stand. I use the M stand by rain design. It looks nice and helps protect my rMBP

11. shootist macrumors regular

I've been using notebooks for over 10 years at work for all of my work computer needs and 11+ years at home, both Mac and Windows, at times I am not at my Windows desktop and have never come close to spilling anything on any of the keyboards of any of the systems. And yes I sit at my desk with both my Mac and Win desktop PC in the mornings drinking coffee and various other drinks. At work I usually have something to drink right next to my Dell notebook.

Accidents Don't Just Happen. They are always caused by something. Usually it is just plain stupidity and a lack of focus of what you are doing. Same goes for driving a car. Very rarely does some part fail in a car that causes a crash. It is always the drivers fault for not paying attention or doing something totally STUPID.

I agree with sc25893, especially with Mac people. They seem to spill more liquid on their Mac's than Windows users do. Or maybe it is because Macs seem to be affected by the slightest amount of liquid spilt on them or even around them. They seem to die with either more often than Windows notebooks.

12. LeeM macrumors 6502a

in future, for home use get a griffin elevator with a magic trackpad and keyboard. whole lot cost me less than £100 off ebay, and a keyboard is a much easier cost to swallow than the laptop

----------

i bet it happens A LOT more often with windows machines, they just don't have such a large user forum like this.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Accidents DO just happen. That's why they are called accidents. You can not always control your environment to a degree that you can eliminate any chance for an accident to happen.

I bought a Nexus 4 phone a few months ago, glass front and back, so I had planned to be careful with it. A few weeks later my car was stolen, and being upset and having spent almost one hour on the phone with the police, I managed to fumble the almost new phone and drop it on our hardwood floor. I was lucky, no visible damage.

Life happens, sometimes you are preoccupied or upset, and sometimes people around you are.

14. thevinrod thread starter macrumors newbie

So far so good

I may be one of the lucky ones.

Waited 4 days after getting things checked out at Apple Store just to make sure all the water had dried that was inside the system. Booted up just fine. Immediately hooked up a Thunderbolt hard drive and did a backup. Sorta expected the computer to stop working... but it didn't. Been on since yesterday afternoon and no problems.

I'll chime in if I have issues in a couple weeks/months due to corrosion. I suppose when you expect the worst, things always are better than you expect!

-tV-