Post when you get confirmation Verizon iphone can be bought on 1 year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbf1138, Jan 11, 2011.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

As of now, everyone is being told there is no information on 1 year contracts for the iphone. If anyone gets any solid definite "yes" or "no" on whether it will be an option, please let us know.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you talking about an unsubsidized phone?
    Because the answer would be no for a subsidized.

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where is this confirmed? All other smartphones on Verizon can be bought at a 1 year contract price, for around $70 more than the 2 year subsidized price.

4. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Why don't you pick up your phone and call Verizon to find out? :eek:

5. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Already done that. They don't say it's not available on 1 year, they say no details on 1 year pricing are available. So it's ambiguous and vague as to whether they will come out with pricing, or if it's another way of saying there is no pricing coming. Hence this post asking for someone to post when they have confirmation one way or the other.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yes, all other smartphones. iPhone is completely different. As VZ has yet to offer any additional pricing on the iPhone, I sincerely doubt they'll sell the phone on a one year contract only. You might be able to pick it up at the unsubsidized pricing but even that might be a stretch.

As this is the news that TONS of VZ users have been pining for, my money is on iPhone 4 with 2 year contract ONLY. Seeing as how so many VZ people have been waiting for this, I doubt they'll have any issue with signing up for another 2 year contract now.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats not gonna happen with the iPhone.
    Maybe for $200 more not $70.

8. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I think spending an extra $70 for a one year contract is a good thing, especially for somebody who likes staying fresh. I hope Verizon offers this option for their iPhone like they do the rest of their lineup.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll be surprised if verizon wireless will have the 1 year option for the iPhone. Its more likely that if you want the iPhone and want the subsidized price, you will need to lock into a 2 year contract.

10. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, tweeted to Verizon:

@VZWSupport Please clarify if 1-year contracts for the iphone are not an option or if it is just pricing details that are not yet available?

@jordn613 We do not have this information available yet. As soon as we know we will share.

-----

Of course, this could just be to control damage from them coming out and saying no one year contract. But they didn't say full retail or 2 year only.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think that if Verizon had the option of a new iPhone with only a 1yr contract + $70-$100 it would kill AT&T and their 2yr requirement.

Thinking merely of new customers on neither carrier and looking at the options.
    I'd see a lot of users just jumping on the Verizon option.

If Verizon had a faster 3G and allowed voice/data, I would probably transfer over. But I like those options as I use them often.
    Plus AT&T is pretty good here in Dallas area.

12. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well considering they offer 1 year contracts for $70 more on every single other smartphone they offer, it would be quite a douche move if they made an exception for the iPhone. AT&T is the anomaly requiring 2 year contracts for everything. And in Europe where 1 year contracts are far more common, the iPhone is indeed sold with 1 year contracts, it is not considered a special case.

I also don't see why Verizon shouldn't...all those other smartphones retail for about the same price as the iPhone unsubsidized...and the same price of $199 for 2 years...why would the price of a 1 year have to differ, or why should it be restricted except to just be a-holes...

13. samwise macrumors regular

I wouldn't say that 1-year contract were that common in Europe - I can only say for the UK, naturally, but to get my 3GS on a 1 year contract, the phone cost me about $450, I think, from Tesco (large grocery chain). For an iPhone 4, their current phone price alone for a 12-month contract is between $345 and $475, depending on the monthly plan cost.

O2, Vodafone & Orange only offer the iPhone in the UK on 18-month or 24-month contracts, and 24-month only for the 3 network.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

First off, you have to realize Apple discounts very little on their products (even on bulk purchases). If the retail price of an iPhone is $599/699 in the US. ATT (and now Verizon) is paying pretty much that price to obtain the product. That's why Apple's iPhone sales now account for almost 70% of their profit margins.

Notice all those Best Buy coupons for 10%. They always exclude Apple products. It's simple. Unless the sale is initiated by Apple, Best Buy is selling the Apple product for pretty much close to what it cost them. Look at Apple prices on online web sites which in theory could offer lower prices since they don't have a retail brick and mortar location to maintain. Look at amazon.com's Apple prices. They are very close to what Apple is charging at their own website.

With other phones including the Android phones. While their MSRP may be close to the iPhones, to bulk purchases like ATT and Verizon, they get heavily discounted. So say the MSRP of a Samsung Galaxy S phone (like the Captivate) says $499. In reality, Samsung maybe actually selling that phone to ATT in bulk for say around $400. That's why ATT and other manufactuers are able to sell those types of phones on a buy one buy one free price.

Apple dictated the $199 2 year subsidy price while forcing carriers like ATT to folk close to $600 for the phone.

Serious, ATT and now Verizon really is subsiding you about $400 in exchange for your 2 year committment.

Look at the European iPhone retail no contract prices (it's around $530 Euros for a 16GB iPhone 4). Of course that includes the VAT but that's close to $730 for a no contract price.

That's why Europeans complain that the iPhone is one expensive phone that doesn't' get much of a discount.

Verizon will probably follow ATT's pricing with "early upgrades" for iPhones. ATT splits the differences and will subsidize you about $200 for early upgrades. That means Verizon early upgrades will incur a $400 charge for extending their contract for another year instead of the $270 you are expecting.

Yes that's expensive. But that's the Apple "tax" for you to own an iPhone.

15. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

At this point, I'd take it for 400 on one year. It's likely they haven't released the 1 year pricing yet so that they don't confuse people with the various prices. It'll probably end up just being an option online when you go to preorder. Something like 200/400/600 for 16gig, 300,500,700 for 32. That makes some sense.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

Honestly, I doubt Verizon will let you have the iPhone for a one year contract even at $400.

Verizon and ATT essentially have the same pricing, give or take.

What will happen is they will force you to sign up for the $200/300 2 year price. They it or leave it. There will be serious demand for this phone. Either you want it their way or take the highway. There are enough customers who want this phone, Verizon can dictate whatever they want.

I know Verizon resellers are pissed now cause they get nothing out of the deal. This is just how Apple deals and Verizon can't afford to take anymore hit in terms of upfront money they spent subsidizing the phone.

So it will be a forced 2 year contract or pay the no commitment price. That being said, once the iPhone 5 comes out, Verizon will probably let you get teh early upgrade price of $400/500 16/32GB but you will still extend your contract for another 2 years.

I just don't think Verizon will let anyone get the 1 year pricing. ATT has never allowed the one year pricing on the iPhone (honestly I think ATT has gotten away from 1 year pricing for at least 2-3 year now). I can't remember the last time I saw pricing for 1 year contracts at ATT stores. Tmobile USA has completely gone away from 1 year pricing as well.

It's just a bad trend we are moving towards in the US. Verizon tried to test 3 year contracts in some markets but that didn't pan out very well.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

18. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

1 year option confirmed!

1-Year-Contract Option
    Verizon may have only announced pricing on the phone with a 2-year contract, but that doesn’t rule out speculation that the carrier will also offer a 1-year-contract option. Most, if not all of, Verizon's smartphones on its Web site offer a shorter-term one-year contract option. Although these cost more than with 2-year contracts, the prices are still significantly lower than the full retail price.
    Indeed, Verizon Spokeswoman Brenda Raney told FOX Business, "All of our phones have a one year option. There are no plans to change that for iPhone."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/01/11/iphone-meets-verizon-dont-know/

19. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since when is 400/500 the early upgrade price? It's always been 200/300. Also, straight from Verizon in the post above, 1 year option is available.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I wouldn't call that "verification" by any means. It's one person speaking out of turn on the matter. Verizon has stated several times that 1 year contract iPhones are still unknown at this time. If they offer them, great for those that want it. If not, oh well.

In the meantime, don't go around spreading hearsay. Wait for an OFFICIAL announcement. Like from a press release or their own website.

21. rbf1138, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

When a Verizon spokeswoman gives a statement to a business press channel, that's not what you call hearsay. It's not officially posted on their website, but then again neither is the retail pricing. Sure, for all we know full retail will be $1000, but that's unlikely. Just as it is now very unlikely there wont be a 1 year contract, seeing as a Verizon business spokesperson has said there are no plans to change that option with the iphone.

Brenda Raney
    Executive Director-Corporate Communications at Verizon Wireless

A quick Google search shows that this woman is often the Verizon spokesperson on new devices. I highly doubt she doesn't know what she's talking about like some of the reps at the press conference hands-on yesterday. She is an official mouthpiece for the company to press outlets.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Ok. So it's official that the iPhone can be had for a 1 year contract for $299 (32gb) + $70 - is what your saying? 100% for sure that you would stake your life on it?

23. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where did I say it was $299 + $70? It may very well be more. However, it confirms the original question of the thread, and what's been up for debate, which is if it will be offered at 1 year pricing. And it will be according to an executive at Verizon speaking to the press. We just don't know the pricing yet.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

$400/500 is ATT's pricing for "early upgraders" for their iPhones. AKA, those not fully eligible for full subsidy. It's a weird calculation what they consider an "early upgrade" Because I purchased my iPhone 4 (full subsidy price of $300 for my 32GB) in June and I was eligible for a partial/early upgrade for another iphone 4 in September for the price of $400/500. This has been the case for iphone 3GS and iPhone 4. It's considered a partial upgrade.

Those who were fully eligible for full subsidy upgrade paid the $200/300 pricing for 16/32GB.

We will see how much Verizon will charge. Of course it's all speculation at this point.

Honestly, I think Verizon/Apple have 2-3 weeks to figure things out and they are obviously monitoring sites such as macrumors to see where public sentiment is about pricing for 1 year contracts.

25. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification on that.