Post-WWDC Letdown [split from spoiler-free thread]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EDarkness, Jun 9, 2008.

1. EDarkness macrumors member

This is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking for a while now, but figured I'd jump in to comment on this conference.

Like other people here, I am disappointed in the keynote. My problem stems from the fact that I need a new computer and there just isn't anything for me to get. Currently, I have a first gen Mac Mini. I can't really complain as it has served me well for a long time, but playing World of Warcraft these days is becoming difficult. I was hoping that Apple would at least announce a new upgrade to the Mac Mini, but that just didn't happen.

I live in Japan and my available space is pretty small, so buying something like the Mac Pro isn't in the cards. I have been considering a Mac Book Pro, but the price is too high. The Mini is ideal for me in a lot of ways, but as a quasi-PC gamer (I usually play console games), the lack of a good video card disappoints me. With the other machines on the Apple line getting updates, I was sure it was time for the Mini to get one.

Since the announcement of a possible Mac Mini update a few months ago, I have been holding off buying a new computer. The lack of a Mac Mini upgrade has put me in a tough situation. Do I hold out longer with the hope that there will be a Mac Mini upgrade, or do I just get a PC and be done with it? <sigh> I have been a Mac user for many years now and though I do own a PC (it's in the States currently), I'd much rather have an Intel Mac I can play WoW on and do some game developing on the side. If this continues, then I'll be forced to pick up a mini PC or something. Dell has one that I like, so I may go that route.

The fact that this keynote was so iPhone centered, does worry me a bit. What about those who don't have any interest in cell phones? It seems like in recent months all of the buzz has been on th iPhone and while it is cool technology, they make other products. Anyway, I'm just ranting at this point, but I was hoping that I could finally upgrade my computer this week, but I guess I have to keep waiting. :(

2. TheCoffeeBoy macrumors member

EDarkness, the major growth area for Apple right now is the mobile market(s). The WWDC is generally about forward looking new *stuff*, spec updates for old ideas wouldn't be noteworthy or newsworthy enuogh to feature in a mention. I've no doubt they'll update the mini soon, but it will never be specced for any kind of gaming use. Anyone thinking they Apple would use anything more than Intel's cheap intergrated graphics solutions would be foolish, the mini is the bottom line solution so they'll cut costs at every turn to keep it cheap.

And if the Macbook Pro is too expensive, why not sell off your current mini and screen and get an iMac, they have decent video cards for gaming, take very little space and are much cheaper than the Macbook Pro's. Seems an ideal fit for what you've described.

3. EDarkness thread starter macrumors member

I considered that, but I have a monitor and I hate glossy screens. I bought a Dell 21" wide screen monitor last year and it's great. Wouldn't matter anyway, because my wife won't let me pay for a computer with a monitor attached. She said we already bought a monitor, so we can't justify buying an iMac. Not to mention that the iMac with the good video card is extremely expensive here in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, I understand Apple has to make money, but it seems to me that they just don't care too much about their computer business and it makes it hard for me to support them. If they're going to be focusing solely on this iPhone stuff, then why even bother with OS X "Snow Leopard"? I'm trying not to be bitter, but I'm really frustrated. I've always liked Apple and in the past, when I was ready to upgrade they had options available. That isn't the case anymore and it's driving me away. The Mini was great and I picked one up the day it came out all those years ago. I need to upgrade again, and there isn't anything. I don't want to buy a PC, but I may not have much of a choice if this continues.

4. katanna macrumors 6502

katanna

The way I look at it, the Mac Mini wasn't made to play games, it was made to be a simple "dumbed down" computer for e-mail, surfing, and pictures. It isn't made to handle the fast processing needed for games. That is why they have the iMacs and Mac Pros.

What you need to do is weigh what you are looking for (pros) against the cons of an iMac. What you want:
    Cheap (check)
    Small foot print (check, smaller than a Mac Mini + monitor)
    Plays games (check)
    Not an all-in-one (nope)

What are the cons?
    It has an integrated monitor
    It has a glossy screen

If you want something good and fast, IMO get an iMac and sell your monitor... but you have to make that decision. Or you can think outside the box and get a Mac Clone:
    http://www.psystar.com/

Matthew

5. EDarkness thread starter macrumors member

I think I need to clarify. I only play WoW (and maybe Diablo 2) on my Mac. Mostly I play console games (Wii, PS3, PS2, etc.), so as long as I can play WoW, I'm happy. At the moment, I'm getting 5-24 FPS depending on where I am in the game, so any reasonable boost in graphic punch would be good. Buying a glossy all-in-one computer at this point isn't going to happen, especially since I'd have to get the highest end model to get the best video card. Even if I settle for the standard video card, I don't want to lose monitor size. Which means I'd have to get the 24" model and if I was going that route, it'd be better to get the top of the line version. This means I have to buy from the Apple store and its going to be expensive.

I agree that the Mini is not a gaming machine by any stretch of the imagination, but seeing as how Apple doesn't really have a gaming machine anyway, going with an updated Mini will serve the same purpose and fit my computer profile much better. At this point, there are only two real options... an upgrade to the Mini, or a PC. Since Apple doesn't have any other models that don't have a monitor connect that are affordable. I don't want to turn this into some complaint about Apple not having a "headless" Mac, but I did want to say that this Keynote was disappointing for me and why.

There's nothing wrong with people getting excited about the iPhone and all it brings to the table, but it just doesn't do anything for me in my current situation.

6. TheCoffeeBoy macrumors member

Ok, now I think you're just just being bitter that you didn't get exactly what you want because most of those arguments make little sense to me.

You said you had a 21" monitor, which would run the same resolution as a 20", you wouldn't notice the difference in size at all. All of the video cards in every model of the iMac will be around 100+ times faster than the Mac Mini for games. No, I'm seriously not kidding, even the base model iMac will be insanely faster for games. The mini's integrated solution is for 2D and bare bones 3D as the GPU is often used in video scaling, that's all it's really designed for. A proper video card will run rings around it, even a 5 year old mid-range dedicated video card will beat the current mini by a huge margin in any game.

I'm surprised you even try to run a 21" display on a Mac Mini let alone play 3D games on it. Expose would be sluggish on it at it's native resolution which would annoy me to no end.