Post-WWDC uMBP 7200 RPM HDD; Click Beep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 25, 2009.

?

Do you have the click-beep problem in the 7200 RPM 500gb HDD?

1. Yes, it happens all the time

100.0%
  2. No, it has not happened once. No problems here.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It only happened a few times, but it stopped/I fixed it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well, seems they dont have an on hand answer for it, and are willing to do repairs, or even send new machines out due to this problems. Will see how machine no 2 does. Hope i dont need to think about no 3.

3. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Apple offered you a brand-new computer?

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Yes, after requesting one. Genius recommended that for a problem in which they had no answer about, that the two options were change drive at the store, or get an exchange laptop - went with the exchange laptop as I can return the 1st one after receiving the second one - if it's a simple error i can just send it back - if it's sorted on second laptop, i'll see what the goodwill gesture is (for the time, petrol and hassle etc involved to try and sort this out - irrespective as to what this error is). If same error on 2nd laptop, and the error is drive related, i guess it's a call to apple after seeing the genius again to see what options are. Could be something simple, but for a brand new machine, HD noise and sounds like this aren't a confidence booster.

If it is a simple error that can get updated - fine, but i'd want them to be sure about this, and the hassle already occurred is big as I was relying on getting up to speed on this machine by now, and can't configure and install much knowing there's a hard drive issue.

Just to also add - there is a definite vibration from the HD all over the laptop - all around the keyboard and through the monitor too. you don't feel it as much around keyboard if your hand is still, but any movement and you can feel a definite resonance. Can feel it just touching the back of the screen.