Post you 3G speeds here......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Aug 27, 2008.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Go to www.testmyiphone.com and test your 3G speed then post your speed and where your from. Here mine and I'm in Vegas.

Attached Files:

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Here's mine.
    Slow 3G speed today. I usually get around 1.7. I remember me getting 1.9 but I'm not sure. Maybe I was on wifi. I don't know. But here:

Attached Files:

3. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

4. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Slow thats pretty fast for 3G isn't it? Is mine real slow for 3G then?

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I guess. As I said earlier though, I get much faster speeds. So I don't really know what the complain is really about. I love my 3G speeds.

*Wishes he bought NetShare*

EDIT: See I told you. Now I got faster speeds this time:

Attached Files:

6. killerbee79 macrumors member

here's mine. I'm in Madison, WI and get GREAT 3G coverage. My below speed is average. I can get close to 1.9 Mbps during non peak hours, slowest speed I have gotten is 1.54 Mbps.

Take note of the BARS! 4 baby, at worst i see is 3 bars when I am at work, average 4 bars. I do see 5 bars a lot too but it usually kicks down to 4 when i pick it up or am holding it in my hand. Love this thing.....

IMG_0002.PNG

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i think that particular speed test tends to give exaggerated results. i'll run it, and get 1.5 mbps, but run a different test and get 400 kbps. in fact, all other speed tests, for me, yield results of 4-500 kbps while testmyiphone.com is always above 1000. shady. i'd like to believe them, but out of the 3 or 4 tests i run pretty regularily, theirs is always much higher.

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

9. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow I barley get 1.54mbps on wifi. That's pretty fast.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

before you break out the cupcakes, you might want to check out this speed test...

http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

I am not the only one who thinks testmyiphone's results are a tad generous. tinyspeedtest seems to be more accurate.

11. ribenaberrie macrumors member

If testmyiphone speeds are higher than what it really is then I don't want to know about it! I am only getting 0.36Mbps on 3G and 0.9Mbps on wifi! :(

12. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I have seen faster.. But this is from 2 minutes ago in Winter Park, FL.

edit: And then again after a reboot. The latency is really terrible.

Attached Files:

13. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Ignore the latency number on the results page, its quite wrong. For some reason its not getting the correct latency because of the page load time.

I am trying to figure out a way to fix that.

In the mean time use this latency page http://testmyiphone.com/latency

it will give you 3 ping tests and is much more accurate.

Testmyiphone.com is the most accurate because of the smart testing method that is used. And shows the real results of what the 3G network does.

You are getting slow results because you are Australia. Its quite hard to give you a good accurate speed when the testing servers are located in the Northern hemisphere.

I am working on getting a server in Australia to give you guys good accurate results i'm just having a problem finding one right now that has enough bandwidth.

14. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

I usually average 1mbit... this is the higest I've ever achieved (1.74mbit). I personally think this website is the most accurate because it uses larger file sizes... it shows the true thoroughput via sustained transfer of a large file. Smaller file sizes are more likely to generate inaccurate results. It takes time fo the network to "ramp up" speeds during sustained transfer.

It's funny, I remember a few popular tech blogs criticising the iPhone 3G before it's launch because it was supposedly physically limited to no more than 1.4mbit. The problem is everyone misread a technical brief AT&T published in the weeks before the launch. The fact is the iPhone uses a 7.2mbit HSDPA chip and speeds are NOT limited by the hardware in the iPhone; it's limited by network capacity, which is always improving. Here are the websites I'm refering to:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15501/
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/16/atandt-to-limit-iphone-3g-speeds-to-1-4-mbps/
    http://gizmodo.com/5015307/giz-explains-what-you-didnt-know-about-the-iphones-3g

[​IMG]

15. swr2000 macrumors member

Yeah, well look at Wilmington, DE

Attached Files:

16. baaron macrumors newbie

Traffic

That is a pretty good way to drive traffic to your speed test site. :)

17. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Heres mine, not the fastest I've had, but pretty impressive for low signal..

Attached Files:

• -2.jpg
      -2.jpg
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
  18. carrjar macrumors member

19. sparkyms macrumors 65816

mobile me strikes again?..

20. Espo macrumors 6502

my EDGE is faster than my 3G today! wtf!!

THis is absolutely pathetic. I am in NYC, around Washington Square Park.

Attached Files:

21. killerbee79 macrumors member

another thing to consider/know when doing speed tests is where the server is that you are downloading from. This will affect your results a lot. Possibly why some sites give you slower results while some give faster. This is why testmyiphone.com i think gives accurate results for me.

When testing my speed for my macbook pro i use www.speedtest.net. it is a very good speed test site. (NOT MEANT FOR IPHONES).
    My MBP connects to my WIFI. The speedtest.net lets you choose what server you want to connect to for the test. It of course recommends the closest one to you so you get best results. With my MBP i get 4.82 Mbps.

Now i connect my iphone to WIFI and turn off 3G. use testmyiphone.com to test WIFI speed. (see screen shot below, 4.39 Mbps) Notice how close it is to my MBP results connected to the same WIFI. That's how i know testmyiphone.com is NOT generous in its results.

IMG_0003.PNG
    Just my 2 cents.

22. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^^^^^^^

wow those are some great speeds even for wifi. Who do you have you Internet with?

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This was while I was driving yesterday...middle of the Tappan Zee bridge.

I too questioned Testmyiphone's speed results. But then I did a little test. I loaded up Speedtest.net (which I have used for years), Testmyiphone.com, and the DSL reports iPhone speed test on my MBP (Safari's user agent was set to MobileSafari). I then loaded up NetShare and used the 3G connection on my MBP on all of these sites.

Speedtest.net and Testmyiphone.com were only about 20 kbps off from each other, while the DSL reports test was different from both other tests by over 300 kbps.

I stick with testmyiphone.com now.

The wifi test was with my 20 Mbps FiOS line -- nowhere near its max (see 3rd attachment), but still a good number. I just don't think the iPhone can process internet data that quickly.

Attached Files:

24. killerbee79 macrumors member

I have internet through Charter Communications. Good internet service in my experience, but a really crappy company... I hate cable companys but this is my only option for broadband until ATT gets their Uverse service running in my city(sometime late this year, early 2009).

25. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234