Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
England
Time to show off some work people. But before you go hunting though your library, consider the following scenario.

Imagine that a huge comet was coming towards earth and was going to kill roughly 90% of the population of the world. Thankfully you live near a bunker designed exactly for this situation, but it is only large enough to hold a small fraction of the population of your home city. Now, the government decide to hold a lottery to determine who gets in and to your luck you win a single ticket. Good new eh? well, not for you, because in this scenario you have a wife/husband and child to worry about. Now you and your significant other obviously decide to use the ticket to get your child, who is about 1 year old, into the shelter. So the day rolls around and the bus comes to pick up your kid, just as they're taking him/her away, they tell you they don't have enough room for the bag of items you packed for the child and that all you can give the child is 3 photographs.

So there's the dilemma, you have to choose three photos for your child to take with them, these photos are going to be the only thing that the kid has from you, it will be the kids only ever way of knowing who you were. But, by some horrible twist of fate, all pictures of you and your wife/husband are not with you and so you have to choose from all your non-family related photos.

I'll post mine after a few other people.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If most life on Earth was destroyed, are there still animals that exist? Cities and buildings? Trees? Beaches? Islands? Mountains? I don't think I'd include photos of stuff that still exists.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Tel said:
But, by some horrible twist of fate, all pictures of you and your wife/husband are not with you and so you have to choose from all your non-family related photos.
My favorite photos are all family related. Still, maybe I'll post a few non-family photos later after I see what others post.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Thats... Um... Depressing....
Instead of only three photos, how about a hard-drive full of them?

Tel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
England
lancestraz said:
Thats... Um... Depressing....
Instead of only three photos, how about a hard-drive full of them?

That kind of defeats the point though really :p Most people aren't going to want to look through thousands of shots taken by someone they don't know. So just post 3, the 3 that you think most sum you up as a person (hence the scenario).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Oh, so that's the point?

I actually thought the point was to show your son the world you and your wife/husband lived in before the near-destruction of the world and the death of 90% of the population, hence the questions I asked that you also failed to answer. ;)

I didn't think posting a photo of someone standing on the moon was a bad idea.

A photo of a nice building, possibly?

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
jagermeister, irish car bomb, and goldschlager. oh wait, did you mean pictures?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Almost all of my photos have family in them, so I will pick my three favorites that do not have me and my spouse in them (I assumed that other family was OK).

KoreaSeoraksanBuddha05092005-1.jpg

Our first international trip and saw South Korea with the family. Wonderful Buddhist temples and incredible shrines were all over and stunning.

KoreaKidsGyeongjuBulguksaTemple0514.jpg

So they could see their brothers and sister as we saw them at the Bulguksa Temple during the festival of Buddha's birthday 2005.

KoreaSokchoBSOD05102005-1.jpg

BSOD in Korean - LOVE it! Just to make sure that they start off knowing the truth aboout Windows.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
emaja said:
KoreaSokchoBSOD05102005-1.jpg

BSOD in Korean - LOVE it! Just to make sure that they start off knowing the truth aboout Windows.

So wait a sec........you have 3 photos to show your children and the entire 10% of the population that will survive...... a summary of all of humankind's accomplishments, what the world looked like after humans developed so many incredible things, how beautiful and varied the world's landscape appeared up until the point of destruction, and you show them the BSOD?

Actually, a bank machine once swallowed my bank card and the BSOD appeared on the screen, so yes.......I guess the BSOD kinda sums up technology. :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Ok, here are 3 photos.

If a comet was going to level the Earth, I think I'd like to show my kid what type of world we used to live in. I wouldn't show him/her all the isht that happened, but the good stuff. I want him/her to know what humankind accomplished, what the world offered in 2006, and what people looked and dressed like. I also wanted something religious in the background even though I'm not religious whatsoever. Atheist over here. :eek:

Attachments

• City.JPG
    City.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Religion.JPG
    Religion.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Earth's Beauty.JPG
    Earth's Beauty.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 156

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Abstract said:
So wait a sec........you have 3 photos to show your children and the entire 10% of the population that will survive...... a summary of all of humankind's accomplishments, what the world looked like after humans developed so many incredible things, how beautiful and varied the world's landscape appeared up until the point of destruction, and you show them the BSOD?

It was a joke...

Almost all my photos have people - family - in them and I thought I as already bending the rules with one shot with family in them.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Tel said:
But, by some horrible twist of fate, all pictures of you and your wife/husband are not with you...
I'd want my son Oliver to know how he and Grandpa felt about one another. I think this pic shows that:
42699851.LookingUp.jpg

Still thinking about the other two.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
amin said:
I'd want my son Oliver to know how he and Grandpa felt about one another. I think this pic shows that.

Makes me want to cry. *sniff*

:)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Culling down to just three photo's is hard, even if I'd place the additional restriction of stuff that I already have uploaded online.

Given an "end of the civilized world" theme, I'd be more inclined to go with the efforts of civilization rather than nature/critters. As such, I'd probably pick these:

classic1.jpg

abbey990709-2.jpg

Normandy_cem1.jpg

-hh

Tel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
England
amin said:
I just bent the rules a touch :p. The rules were really unclear, because he only said photos of me and the wife had been lost.

Yeah, I'll let you off on that one but only because its a really touching photo :)

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
amin said:
I'd want my son Oliver to know how he and Grandpa felt about one another. I think this pic shows that:

Still thinking about the other two.

Lens? If that's straight from the camera - no USM - I'm picking one up immediately!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
here's mine

the sunset is from Fritzroy island (sp) in Australia

Attachments

• DSCF0035_2.jpg
    DSCF0035_2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF0048_2.jpg
    DSCF0048_2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF0103_2.jpg
    DSCF0103_2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 117

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Lens? If that's straight from the camera - no USM - I'm picking one up immediately!
Thank you. Unfortunately that one was processed including some modest selective sharpening. The data straight from the sensor is good enough though that I have made a nice 20 x 30 inch print from this one. Incidentally, the lens was a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS used wide open at 200mm. I own the f/4 version of this lens but borrowed my dad's faster zoom for this shoot. Both are really phenomenal lenses if you use Canon equipment.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Here's my 3 favorites...

Attachments

• 39374608.brandon.jpg
    39374608.brandon.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 116
  • 47316536.ianm3.jpg
    47316536.ianm3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 116
  • dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.