Post Your Applications & used hard drive space!

OldCorpse

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Two weeks ago, I bought a used 1.5GHz G4 mac mini. I swapped out the hard drive for a new 120GB 5400RPM Seagate and upgraded to 1GB RAM.

Meanwhile, my iBook had gotten bogged down with a lot of apps I never use, so for the mac mini I decided to go ONLY with apps I will use for sure. What an opportunity! I did an install of OS X Tiger 10.4.2 from the installation discs that came with the mini - but I skipped all the printer drivers, since there were no drivers on it for the printer I use (Samsung).

With all the apps I installed (including 3rd party) - my entire HDD uses only 3.51GB! Out of 111.8GB available - 3.51 GB used!

How did I do it? First I used monoligual to get rid of all languages except the various flavors of English, French and Swedish. I also got rid of most keyboard layouts. And I got rid of the non-PPC frameworks and the G5 64 bit frameworks.

Then I got very disciplined with software I installed - ONLY APPS that go on, are ones I'm sure to use, or which it's dangerous to uninstall without damaging some other functions of OS X.

I did NOT install the iLife that came with it - sorry, I don't use iPhoto, iMovie (I use FCP 4.5 HD on my iBook instead), iWeb, iDVD (I got DVDSP on the iBook) or Garageband.

I did NOT install any trialware or iWork etc.

I updated to 10.4.10 using software update, but I also stripped out some OS X software I never use: Sherlock, iChat, Stickies, Chess, Nasaurus, Marble Blast, and some widgets, like: yellow pages, espn, snow report, stocks, clock, calculator, games etc.

Then I installed the apps I knew I'd use (even if some I'd only use occasionally like MS Excel and Word from MS Office 2004).

Here's my final list of apps:

1) Address Book
2) AppleScript
3) Automator
4) Bookit
5) Calculator
6) Dashboard
7) Dictionary
8) Disk Inventory X
9) DVD Player
10) Final Draft
11) Final Draft Tagger
12) Firefox
13) Flip4Mac
14) Font Book
15) Google Notifier
16) iCal
17) iDefrag
18) iGTD
19) Image Capture
20) info.xhead
21) Internet Connect
22) iSnip
23) iSync
24) iTunes
25) KoalaCalc
26) Little Snitch
27) MacTheRipper
28) Mail
29) MainMenu
30) MS Word
31) MS Excel
32) Overflow
33) PopChar
34) Preview
35) QuickTime
36) Safari
37) Service Scrubber
38) SuperDuper!
39) System Preferences
40) TextEdit
41) The Unarchiver
42) Toast Titanium
43) Utilities
44) VLC
45) VoodooPad

Plus widgets:

1)GMail Widget
2)Delivery Status
3)Address Book
4)Weather
5)Dictionary
6)Egg Timer
7)Unit Converter
8)PEMDAS Calculator
9)Flight Tracker
10)iStat Nano
11)k-Notes
12)NotePad

And that's it, folks! And here's the amazing part - I have a lot of documents, including 450MB worth of icons - so without the icons, I'd be a hair over 3GB hard drive space used! The result is a zippy computer - very fast, and very clean. I use iDefrag and MainMenu to keep it in shape.

Now, granted, I use my iBook as well for video and music editing and specialized work, but for everyday ordinary use, the mac mini is just great.

So what is YOUR app list, and your hard drive space used? Post the list and the number!

OldCorpse

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Interesting, clevin - your app folder alone is almost 3 times bigger than my entire hard drive space used!

I wonder how many of these apps you actually use: f.ex. have you once used Sherlock? Or even vaguely plan to? How about Chess? I kicked both off my system - there was zero chance I'd ever use or need them. I still have them on my iBook - it would take too much work to go through all of them and strip out all the to me useless apps. Still fascinating what people have and use as apps!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Interesting, clevin - your app folder alone is almost 3 times bigger than my entire hard drive space used!

I wonder how many of these apps you actually use: f.ex. have you once used Sherlock? Or even vaguely plan to? How about Chess? I kicked both off my system - there was zero chance I'd ever use or need them. I still have them on my iBook - it would take too much work to go through all of them and strip out all the to me useless apps. Still fascinating what people have and use as apps!
I normally just kick out apps that 1),I absolutely won't use, 2) too big, there are indeed a lot of apps on my disk that are useless to me.

I didn't do clean install when I first got my MB, and now I have too much data on it to do clean install...:eek:

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Flip4Mac AND Windows Media Player
Photoshop CS3 AND Photoshop CS2

The mind boggles :p

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
photoshop CS3 is beta, and expired

WMP is for some wmvs that flip4mac won't play.