Post your boot camp size!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bryguy393, Feb 15, 2010.

1. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a large variety of peoples boot camp sizes so i can create mine accordingly. Could you post your:

-Boot Camp size
    -What you use it for (eg. light to moderate gaming, how many games are installed)
    -and do you use your boot camp partition in a virtual machine aswell?

I will be installing a number of games, and i know some will be quite large, so i don't want to make it too small and run out of space or too large and make my OSX partition seem puny.

PS i searched MRoogle and didnt really get a definitive answer.

2. JosX macrumors regular

I used 30GB on my MBP with 160GB HDD for gaming & installed games on my 1TB external, but with my new MBP with a 500GB HDD, I think I'll make a 100GB partition & have all games on the HDD, really depends how much stuff you're gonna be installing.

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

How big of a hard drive do you have? I personally dont use bootcamp I just have gaming PC and a MBP, what do you have? iMac?

4. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

it'll be a brand new 17" MBP, when they update them. most likely 500GB, 7200rpm, doubt theyll give us anything larger.

ps i completely forgot there was a windows on a mac section.

i need more data please!

5. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

lots of money to burn...

I DO NOT use bootcamp at all because I think games shouldn't be a reason to buy a MBP that expensive!

So here is my specs

Bootcamp 0 GB

6. mattgoldey macrumors member

Then you're going to HATE that I'll be buying a fully-loaded MBP just as soon as they're released and its primary use will be World of Warcraft. :)

7. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Someone gave me the tip before of installing macdrive, then you can install games on the mac partition if you want a small windows one.

8. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

I have a 30 gb partition set up on my drive for Boot Camp, currently I'm using about 20-22 gb of that. I have upgraded to a 200 gb drive in my MBP.

I have almost all the Orange Box games installed although to be honest I could probably cut out the Half Life games since I mainly only play Portal and TF2. I also still have a copy of SimCity 4 I dick around with when I get bored. It's a good offline game that you can choose to invest as little time/attention as you want, or go full bore to take up 4 idle hours.

There's also (I think) some older video files (Top Gear eps from an older, pre-HD season, so 800 mb each or so) from the days before the stable uTorrent mac release.

I had (actually might still have, I'll have to look) my older copy of CS3 apps, but these should have been deleted when I got my CS4 for Mac.

I have XP SP3 currently, I had Win7 Enterprise on there from a demo license but reinstalled XP because the graphics drivers didn't play well with Steam games. I think they've been updated but honestly don't worry about it enough to experiment with them.

I do use VirtualBox on this machine but not to boot up the Boot Camp image, I have a seperate Win 7 image on an external that I use mainly at work for work apps on a Win domain.

9. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

i read about mac drive too, but never really thought about installing games on it. what does that look like in osx with a bunch of windows games installed? care to post a screenshot?

also, more posts people, i only have 1 so far!
    edit: 2 so far!

10. iphonematt Guest

65GB Boot Camp Partition
    Age of Mythology is the only game.
    I also have Pro/E and the Autodesk Inventor 2010 Suite (about 10GB) installed.
    I do use my Boot Camp partiton as a VM often through VMware Fusion.

500GB, 7200rpm HDD is my system BTW.

11. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I only have a big G4 desktop and my Windows laptop until the new macbook pros come out so I'm waiting to try it myself. It would only be one folder though, you could create a new folder in the mac partition called 'Windows games' or something.

The only thing I was concerned about was the speed at which it reads, but the original poster said that it all worked well for him.

12. Gomff macrumors 6502a

500 GB HD, 100 GB of it is a Boot camp partition for work, a couple of games, project files and a bit of spare left over.

I never seem to have ample HD space for very long.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I have an old MBP with only 120GBs so I use around 60GB for bootcamp for gaming (MMOs have massive install sizes these days, 1 game can be around 30 GBs)

I store all my work on the external when on OS X so I only need application space really.

120GB HD these days is really nothing I have to admit. My external is 1TB and it's nearly full..

14. iLMAO macrumors newbie

I use 40 GB on Boot Camp, Windows 7 and play Age of Empires III on LAN.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

120GB on the uMBP (Windows 7 32bit)
    500GB on the iMac (Windows 7 64bit)

Games are the primary reason for bootcamp on both systems. VMware Fusion does not use bootcamp on either system.

Cheers,

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

120GB/500GB on both MB/MBP, 20GB/160GB on the iMac.

B

17. Snoball macrumors newbie

Had a 60 gig partition that I used primarily for Front Page and World of Warcraft. But I decided to run Wow on the Mac side, and I couldn't be happier. Then about 6 months ago I gave iWeb a try, and was satisfied with it enough to ditch Front Page.

Soooo.....I'm bootcamp free and loving it! :D

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

64GB OSX
    64GB Windows 7

I have 10GB free on the OSX side, 20MB free for Windows 7 :(

19. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I have a full 320GB drive dedicated to a Windows 7-x64 install which I primarily use for gaming. I also have a second 320GB drive that is solely for storing VMs which I use for development work.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

60GB Windows 7 64 bit

I just have CoD 4 and Dragon Age.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1TB given to Windows 7 64Bit on my MacPro for playing Games only.

I have 2 x 1.5 TB & another 1TB in my MacPro for work & time machine backup.

22. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

I most certainly do not hate you - just call you stup!d ;) Nah gaming is for PCs...

You can buy whatever you can afford.

23. migsev macrumors regular

640gb split into 2 - 200gb to Windows 7, the rest to OS X.

COD:MW 2, Diablo 2, Fallout 3 + Expansions, Left 4 Dead 2, Red Alert 3, SW:KOTOR 2

Not a lot of games so far, but I'll fill it up eventually.

24. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I had BootCamp, but removed it... I did 200GB. Now I have that back, and have Windows running on my craptop (cant overclock the 9400m without bluescreen issues... but I can overclock my 7300 Go :D) I'm back to 640GB goodness

25. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

On my Mac Pro ('08, Radeon 4870):

Dedicated 1 TB HD for Windows.
    Split into 2 x 500 GB, one partition for XP SP3 and one partition for Vista Ultimate 64 bits (see pic)

I use XP for non DirectX 10.x games that I love to play (mostly racing: Richard Burns Rally, NFS Pro Street, DiRT, Grid, and Far Cry)

I use Vista 64 bits for new games (like Crysis) but also Half Life 2.

Attached Files: