Post your CANADIAN iPhone 5 experience! (and maybe learn!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CanadianGeek, Oct 24, 2012.

1. CanadianGeek macrumors member

Hey Macrumors!,

This is a thread where you may talk about the Canadian iPhone 5, your experience, what plan you've got, and some interesting things. The reason I created this is because I love learning about people's experiences, their adventure, the screw-up with the carrier (IT'S NOT A CANADIAN CARRIER IF THEY DONT SCREW-UP, TALKING TO YOU ROGERS WIRELESS!).

anyone can view the thread. I won't be too strict, I will let you guys talk about your experience, but it would be cooler if you were Canadian, Eh?

Happy posting!

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I posted on Fido support forums...no one answered #CrappyCanadianCarriers !

3. hrv888 macrumors regular

Fido still wants me to pay a $200 etf fee!! Anybody got a way around that? I still have 11 months on my 3 year contract. 3 years is sooooo long!! wish it was 2 years!!

4. CanadianGeek thread starter macrumors member

I may have a solution!

Read more here, it's a guide on how to succeed with Fido Retentions, read it up and try it! Read the guide then go to part 2! Good luck!

Link:

http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=376936&page=486&mobile_type=basic#post10969156

After you have read that, go to part 2:

http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=376936&page=895&mobile_type=basic#post11713423

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If you're with Fido you can switch to Rogers and if you sign a new 3-year contract with Rogers (and thus get a subsidized phone) then your ETF with Fido will be waived. This is due to Rogers' acquisition of Fido apparently.

6. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

Hello CAD Geek!

i got my iphone 5 from ROGERS. I upgraded from the 4S. I was sent the incorrect EUF via text message & after some persistance and calling their LOYALTY line they honoured the prices. They waived the activation fee as a weekend special. I got a $50 hardware upgrade rebate, and also a $50 rebate for waiting over 2 weeks for the phone. So basically now after everything I sold my 4S, I am up $120...sweet! (which I am quickly spending on cases & accessories..lol)
    I have the white version 16GB, and i LOVEEEE it. Loving the fast LTE speeds.
    Just picked up a case tonight ...check it out.

How was YOUR experience?

Attached Files:

7. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Canadian iP5 user here. So far has been great, just disappointing to learn that telus only has 2 LTE towers in my city, and they're in downtown which is quite far from my uni. But other than that, perfect and I'm really glad with telus because of their customer support.

The plan I got (and actually the salesman who gave it to me said I could tell other people about it) is 300 minutes with 250 incoming minutes, unlimited weekends/evenings, 6GB of data, Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and unlimited telus mobile to mobile. This is all for 55$/month plus tax. He also offered to give me 350$ port in credit, but unfortunately I didn't have a rogers or bell number to port in...

Any canadians interested in this, let me know and I'll PM you the guy's email so you can talk to him.

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Been with Fido for 6 years and man there is nothing they have not done for me. Love their customer service for myself at least. Haven't screwed up yet and even when they have they fixed it up for me even if it was my fault (accidental data usage of 250MB) in the past and what not. iPhone 5 for $99 with Fido dollars and waived activation fee. 6GB data at a promo rate of $20 with $10 credit. $25 talk and $7 CID/VM.

9. James L macrumors 6502a

PM me please. :)

10. stonyboys macrumors 6502

PM'd, good luck!

11. CanadianGeek thread starter macrumors member

Please pm me! Wish to negotiate with this guy, then tell virgin mobile to give me the same plan or else I'll switch. But they might look it up on telus's website.

12. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Purchased my iPhone at day 1 from Apple, 32GB Black. Have a plan with unlimited talk and text, and pay as you go data ($1 day for data when I use it) at $22 a month. With Rogers, alright cell service and customer service.

13. CanadianGeek thread starter macrumors member

Your responses are awesome guys, if you guys got any cool stuff about plans and stuff that work well with a Phone like the iPhone 5, please share!

14. manunited macrumors member

Rogers was supposed to waive my EUF, but it's charged on my account so I have to call them about it.... and they also charged me for two months of service at once??? Typical Rogers stuff really. The phone itself is great though (except for the battery that is...)

15. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Bought an iPhone 5 32GB on launch day. Paid 325 EUP fee and $35 activation. Sold my 4S for 400 bucks.

The week after the iPhone 5 was released, that weekend Rogers was offering free activations, I called them, got my activation fee waived, and got a $75 "goodwill" credit because they pissed me off and I know how to work them lol.

With that $75 + $35 savings, I proceeded to go on eBay and have my iPhone 5 unlocked. Worked like a charm, tested with a Bell nano sim PAYG. :)

Overall, I don't think I could get a better deal. I pay $30 a month for all my cell services (6GB of LTE Data, 200 weekday/unl eve/weekends, call ID, VM, 100 LD Minutes, unl texting.)

My only complaint so far, is that I don't understand why the battery drains so quickly on the 5...

16. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Bought my i5 outright from apple.ca when pre-orders began on September 14th.

It arrived at my door on September 21st.

After work I went to the closest Koodo kiosk to get a new micro sim and transfer over from my old i4 to the new i5. It was all free.

Koodo is pretty dope.

17. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Still waiting for my 64GB Black from Fido reservations (reserved on Oct 1 :mad:). I'm #200 now, so I should get it within a week. If it takes 3 more days I'll get a second $50 credit from Fido, so for $100 I don't really mind to wait.
    I'm with Fido, since they gave me a good retentions plan and they have LTE in my city, so I'll be happy when I get it!

18. accounti macrumors member

Hello,

I'm from France And i'm on Canada until December ! I wanted to know if there are any way to get a cheap iPhone. I mean I subscribe for a plan and that I cancel it in December how much will it cost me ?

I wanted to know what is the activation fee that some carriers talk about ? And how much is it ?

Thanking you in advance :)

19. mac26 macrumors 6502

PM me on how you got such an awesome plan! would love to switch to Rogers but there plans are outrageous!

20. walie macrumors 6502a

good luck passing the credit check if you're looking to sign a contract.

21. accounti macrumors member

You mean that I have to own a Canadian credit card ?

22. darkside flow macrumors 6502

The only way to get a cheap iPhone 5 in Canada is to sign a 3 year agreement. If you break that agreement early, you pay penalties which will result in more than a full priced iPhone from Apple.

Therefore, the cheapest way for you to get an iPhone 5 is to buy directly from Apple at full price and sign on a month-to-month plan with the Canadian carrier of your choice.

My personal suggestion would be to get a used iPhone 4 or 4S from Kijiji.ca then activate that on a month to month.

----------

I've been with Fido for 12 years now with zero complaints. City Fido unlimited plan since the beginning. Over the years I've added the 6GB data plan.

Because I signed two agreements in the past few years getting my iPhone 3G for $45 and my iPhone 4 for $75, I've had to buy the 4S and 5 unlocked from Apple but it's worked out great as my old phone goes to a family member saving them money.

This year my iPhone 5 arrived 2 weeks after launch as I woke up at 5am EST instead of 2:45am like my alarm was supposed to!!

23. accounti macrumors member

Thanks for the answer :)

I already have a 4S, and a friend told me that most iPhones that are on kijiji are stolen that's why they are cheaper !

And I don't what will happen if it really stolen ? Will it be blocked ? (don't want to risk to waste thousands of dollars) Don't want to hear the police knocking at my door ^^

24. Canuck51 macrumors newbie

Can you PM me his info. Thanks.

25. CanadianGeek thread starter macrumors member

Can you PM me how you got that awesome plan?? Thanks!