Post Your Car Mounting (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mkitchen, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mkitchen macrumors member

So now with GPS there is even a greater need to mount the iPhone in the car. Of course there are little to no accessories currently available for the iPhone 3G that will do this. I'm sure things will look better as more accessories become available, but if you have your iPhone mounted, i'm sure people want to see it!

I just finished getting all my mounting stuff in today, and here are some pictures.

This is using the Arkon SM225-S : Universal Flexible Steel Gooseneck Seat Bolt Mobile Phone Mount

And the Griffin AutoPilot.

A few notes. I already converted my car stereo CD player in to a aux Line out about 5 years ago (this disabled the CD Player). The AutoPilot does charge the iPhone 3G but you do get an incompatibility warning. This set-up may not be pretty, but my 99 Civic isn't that pretty either. The current grabby holder thing can by traded for pro-clip mount when proclip does release a 3G iphone mount. I know that it is kind of out in the middle - but this is safest. It is right next to my steering wheel for easy touch access and quick looks.

Pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I did have to drill into my console and screw this in - gotta love a dremel for tight spaces)
    [​IMG]
    Landscape does require some loosening and tightening of a thumbscew adjustment and adjusting the gooseneck. I don't plan on using it this way unless GPS Nav software gets released that necessitates it. But this is just to prove that it is possible.

Alright, there we go. Lemme know if you have any questions or comments and please feel free to share your own mounting solutions.

2. findnemo macrumors regular

Really nice work. I used the "gps" function today for the first time and I was really impressed. I was surprised how accurate it was and how fast the dot moves.

I will have to buy one like that soon.

3. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Very cool. I have the same one on order and it should be here Monday. I plan on using the seat bolt method.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

5. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Wow, r there any less obtrusive mounts? I love the convenience but it's not too good on the eye. :)

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

yea be like me and gut your car and just throw it on the floor

7. lkeslinger macrumors member

I posted this in another post, but I'll post my pictures of my 'car mount.' It caught on fire, so I don't have one anymore, lol. It damaged my old iPhone and had to file a claim to get my car fixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]