Post your day with Apple Pay!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 28, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

So post where you've used Apple a Pay in a day, here's how mine went.

I needed some new set of precision screwdrivers so I headed off to Home Depot. Went to the Self Checkouts and held my phone to the terminal, works without a hitch. HD does ask for a PIN though.

Then went to Walgreens to pick up a prescription, worked there too, also required my PIN, and then tons of questions afterwards on the terminal. But the key thing is Apple Pay worked great.

Then I went to McD's to get a McGriddle and a Powerade at the drive through, it worked there too. Still have the gift certificates from the last time it didn't work and I complained to the manager. However this time it worked great.

Time to head over to Walmart, the first time I had to pull out my credit card in a few hours of my day out shopping for things I've needed but procrastinated on. So the bathroom towels had to be paid for with a credit card. Oh well.

Then headed over to local Arizona grocery store Basha's and picked up some pasta for the family tonight. Knorr brand that is. The terminal said "Please Slide Card" but I held my phone to the reader and it worked anyway. The new terminals are programmed to accept NFC, but they never changed the wording. Nice. Nevertheless it still worked.

Now time for an Oil Change, Big O Tires in town is where I always go. $24.95, he keyed it into his credit card terminal, but I see he has a brand new PIN pad facing me. It said PayPass, Visa, Discover ZIP on it. That could only mean one thing! Another place to pay with Apple Pay! So tapped the iPhone and signed his receipt, got my invoice and now I don't have to worry about that for another 3,000 miles.

Now time to fuel up and head home. I headed over to the Chevron, I could have paid at the pump but I went inside and just asked for $20 in gas. Once again I held my phone up to the PayPass reader and all was well that ended well.

So 6 out of 7 places I went in one day took Apple Pay. Honestly not bad for a less than a week old service. I don't know why some people find it so hard to find a place or have so much trouble with Apple Pay. And out of every place I went only "Walgreens" and "McD's" were "officially supported" by Apple. The other places all worked fine despite not being on Apple's list. Hell the grocery store didn't even show the Contactless symbol and it still worked.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Used it last night at Petco to buy a dog shampoo.

3. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

So those PIN transactions, I'll assume they are debit card transactions via Apple Pay?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, or you can hit "Credit" or "Cancel" if you want to process your debit card as credit.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

What PIN? What happens when you are using a credit card with ApplePay?

Edit: Looks like you answered the question.

6. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Settle down there turbo. You'll wear yourself out!! :D:D

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was actually my first time using Apple Pay, as I didn't feel I had to go out of my way to buy something I didn't need just to test Apple Pay :cool: I can thank my dog for running out of shampoo.

8. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Used Apple Pay both at Walgreens and Whole Foods over the weekend. Both transactions went smoothly and worked like they were supposed to.

However, using an ATM debit card even as credit the Passbook only shows the city where the transaction took place and how long ago. Not even the amount shows up. I guess credit cards will show you the complete details of the transactions?

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

*Waiting for support from 4 credit cards and my one check card*

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

All that and there is one thing you didn't do.

Worry about skimmers or bank fraud associated with your card.

Priceless.

11. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

So to me asking for PIN make sense, even with Apple Pay, as Apple Pay is a replacement for the physical swiping of the card.

It really depends on how the merchant is setup. At McDonalds I don't type my PIN in for debit transactions unless its greater than some amount. It just goes through. Whereas other places might ask for the PIN for a 50 cent purchase.

On interesting thing at McD's is that if you buy things successively the POS will require a manager key turn, otherwise it thinks someone is trying to use the card over and over.

12. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Wow, that seems backwards since you should be entering those transactions into a checkbook register. Bit of a bummer since I'll be using mine with a debit card. Thought I wouldn't have to worry about holding onto receipts and/or entering them right away. Would be nice if you had an option to have the receipt emailed to you. I would imagine a lot of these things will come with time.

13. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

Walgreens 3 different times and no issues at all. Once paid with a Debit card loaded in Apple Pay, and twice with a CC. The only difference was the prompt on the debit card to enter my PIN or proceed as credit.

The last visit was to the photo counter of the other Walgreens within 2 miles of my house. The cashier was in training, and the trainer was right there in awe of the ease of apple pay. They wanted to know more about how the system works on the phone (the payment works like any other NFC payment on their side)... the trainer seemed to think it was "pretty slick" and "so easy".

I just wish there were more businesses that offer NFC payments. It is very convenient, and I would use it more often than not if there was NFC adoption in the businesses.

I'm not yet on the bandwagon of changing my preferred stores to those that use apple pay, but I may soon. Ive read that Publix and Walmart / Sams / Target are choosing the MCX system, and if that day comes, I will be altering my purchase patterns. My CC data was breached in both the HD and Target snafu's last year, and the last thing I want is to have the stores have MORE of my data.

14. orangecrushv macrumors regular

My day went as follows:

Went to lunch and noticed fancy color screen payment terminals at Jersey Mikes, place phone up to reader, activate Touch ID, payment declined...

I used my phone at Walgreens and at my cafeteria yesterday and ended up swiping the card loaded into Apple pay, so I'm not sure what the issue is at this location...

15. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Can you select which card you want to pay with each time or does it make you select a default?

16. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I used :apple:Pay a few days ago at Panera Bread, it went smooth until the cashier said "I just need you to sign the receipt" (because it was over $25), so I thought to myself, really, that's counter-intuitive, so I signed my name as "Apple Pay". Isn't my fingerprint better than my signature. Someone please explain :confused:

17. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Went to Panera, ordered a salad and sandwich, pressed the touch ID button.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, just sign whatever you want. Old habits/routes die hard and it'll take some time.

----------

One card is selected as default in settings and you can change cards on the fly.

19. D3lta macrumors 6502a

There's a default card (of your choice) but if you tap the bottom of the screen before using TouchID, you can choose your other cards.

[​IMG]

20. opfreak macrumors regular

you went out of your way to use apple pay? :rolleyes:

talk about loyalty

21. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Didn't have to go out of my way at all honestly. If I did go out of my way, I wouldn't have bothered with Walmart.

I guess the plus side of living in Arizona is that there are a lot of NFC accepting merchants. Even my pool cleaning guy has a portable terminal that takes it. Only place that I go to that doesn't is Walmart or Target.

22. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Used Apple Pay at a Nike store this past weekend. Everything worked, but I was still prompted for PIN entry on the terminal I'd assume because it was a WF Platinum Debit card.

Cashier still thought I was badass for paying with my iPhone.

23. opfreak macrumors regular

you went inside the gas station.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not to worry as many of these people will go broke soon and get the Apple Pay DECLINE!

Some are even trying to impress the gas staion cashier!

That is not on my bucket list!

25. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Yea, it was a bit of a disappointment that even the vendor isn't listed and only shows the last transaction. But the transaction does show up in my on-line banking register though you still won't get any itemization.